Broken promises - Arianne’s Velar OSF wheel noise still unfixed

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Broken promises - Arianne’s Velar OSF wheel noise still unfixed

Post by Arianne » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:56 am

Hello fellow Velar owners,

Some of you may recall my story on this forum of our Velar, the running cyclical noise from the OSF wheel and the attempts to get a resolution. Here’s an update on how I have got on.......

I haven’t got on very well TBH :( :roll: :oops:

Back in November / December, I received emails from my dealer and from Amelia at JLR Customer Services clearly stating that the revised bracket for the half-shaft would be produced and that it should be available in the New Year. On this basis, and the offer of a modest goodwill gesture for all of the grief of £2k, I agreed not to reject the car under the CRA, first 30 day rule. That’s because we loved the car and believed them when we were told it would be fixed within a few months, in effect.

Now I have chased them up. It’s March and I think the definition of New Year extends only a few months into 2018? Amelia says they no have no idea when the part will be available to the dealer. The dealer is saying the same thing. Thanks very much! I am left with a £70k+ Velar with a noise from its OSF wheel. Promises count for little and they clearly have a different view of the meaning of the terms New Year and Integrity. I worked with them in good faith, now the good faith has vanished.

The whole new car experience has been almost totally spoiled. There have been moments when I have been able to push this all to the back of my mind but, as a general rule, the toxic effect of the many phone calls, emails, meetings with the dealer, family discussions etc. have completely ruined what should have been a magical moment as we acquired what I thought would be the “best car I am likely to ever have prior to retirement”. It was not to be.

We ordered our F-Pace 3.0d S in April 2016, took delivery in March 2017, rejected it for this reason, were in loan cars until September 2017 when our Velar arrived, then realised the replacement car had the same problem, were in loan cars for weeks while it sat in the workshop and now the promise to fix the thing has become a “one day never affair”.

I am at my wits end. Do I reject under the 6mth rule and take the hit? That includes over £1k spent on a set of winter tyres which will be almost worth next to nothing on eBay? Do I go nuclear and write to AutoExpress and ask them for help? Do I go into my dealer Lloyd Kelso and just sit there until someone bothers to give me a coffee and discuss it. Or do I write to the directors of Lloyd Motor Group and beg for their intervention? Or do I just work really, really, really hard to re-train my conscious mind to get a grip and disengage with this issue by just accepting the reality that I have a sub-optimal car? JLR themselves seem to have just walked away.

If you are considering the purchase of a 3.0d V6 version of either the F-Pace or Velar then think very hard.

Any suggestions welcome. The 6mths is up on 23 March.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

mavg1986

Re: Broken promises - Arianne’s Velar OSF wheel noise still unfixed

Post by mavg1986 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 am

Hi Arianne, I haven’t been to the forum in a while but ot is sad to see you are still having issues.

If you recall, I rejected my Velar in the first 48 hours, and the dealer took it back within a week or two.

I’ve placed an order on the new Cayenne, as I was very impressed with build quality, and indeed much better assembled than the Velar imho.

Each to their own taste of course. In your shoes I would move on to something else, hopefully that would give you satisfaction other than headsche and would hopefully be the best car you have before retirement.

Best of luck!

Piers

Post by Piers » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Arianne,
So sorry to hear this is still going on. As you know we rejected our FP’s around the same time and chatted at length. Sadly I still stand by my comment that JLR just don’t care, we both have had two cars to get right and they messed up both.

Honestly a year back in a BMW has shown me that JLR are heading the wrong way, and perceived quality levels are way above the actual real life experience, both here and the FP forum show that.

I am amazed it has gone on this long, the technicians diagnosed this fault in Nov ‘16 and 18 months later they haven’t solved it, which says only one thing, which is what was confirmed to me back then, that was that they cannot fix it! Your guys gave you hope, blaming 22” wheels etc, and we all know that was all total cobblers!

So, I say go nuclear. Auto Express, Which, Autocar, and get the issue out there, they have got away with it too long

Piers
Last edited by Piers on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Thank you to all who have posted a reply. I appreciate your time, views and advice. Here is a copy of a recent email exchange between Amelia at JLR before they told me that there was now no date for the part. Nice!

24CFE706-D88B-44FE-8CCA-5C056DAA3F83.png

D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, summer / winter tyres & the all important cup holder cover!

mm767cap

Post by mm767cap » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Really sorry to hear about the lack of a fix. This is the kind of thing that would drive me totally nuts as well. As to your next move, I’m not sure what is appropriate. Is it possible to swap for a different Velar version? Does the petrol version have the same issue? My P380 doesn’t seem to have any noise issues whatsoever.

My only comment in reference to Piers is that my 1 year old traded BMW M3 was an absolute abomination of noise, creaking, rattling, etc. Had issues with the dealership as well when they informed me that my car wouldn’t align correctly and they suspected a bent suspension piece. Since I am the only one who drove the car I know I certainly didn’t bend it. Attempts to get them to identify and fix the problem were unsuccessful to the point the service department simply ignored my calls after a bit. No problem.... I’ll just buy something else. Bye bye BMW. I guess my point is it seems systemic in the auto business.

I wish you good luck in determining the solution, but if it were me I wouldn’t keep the car. It’ll drive you nuts. If you love the Velar you might get another one and see if that one is free from the issue (different motor option perhaps). Or head to another pasture altogether. Will miss your writings if you decide to move on. Best of luck
2018 P380HSE R-Dynamic Corris with Black Pack, Contrast Roof, 21" 1033 Gloss Black Wheels, Oyster/Ebony, Surround Cam, Adaptive Cruise

DRP

Post by DRP » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi Arianne,

I have tried to PM you, but it appears to be stuck in my outbox! Not sure why, but will check later to see if it's gone...

D

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

DRP wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm
Hi Arianne,

I have tried to PM you, but it appears to be stuck in my outbox! Not sure why, but will check later to see if it's gone...

D
Thanks, received and responded. The PM shows in your outbox until the recipient reads it. A bit weird, just like our cars then!

Best wishes, Arianne

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:01 pm

So sorry to read this, Arianne. You’ve been through the wringer between the F-Pace and now your Velar. Such a shame they can’t manage expectations and give you answers, especially considering the part you need is being offered to F-Pace owners already. Only because I know how much you and your family fell in love with the Velar after exhaustive research and consideration, I would personally escalate to the top of Lloyd & autoexpress concurrently instead of just give up. The best outcome is your part is expedited, a (hopefully) less ideal but not bad option is they put you in a brand new Velar of same (or different spec if you choose) immediately, or worst case, you’ve given your all and reject to move on to something else.

Wishing you and your family all the best in hopes of a quick resolution from here out. Please keep us updated.

Cheers,
Jake
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Arianne,
What can I say. ? So sorry to read JLR is once again messing up with their customers.
I can totally understand your pain. Would be difficult to stick with the same velar after all you have been through. If you were to reject would you go for another velar? Would 20’´ rims minimize the risk of the driveshaft ?
If not maybe reject and move on ? Sad to read

I would escalate as suggested but do you have the time ?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal - is this wheel issue affecting all or many D300 cars? I have an FE on order due 25th March on the 22" 10 spoke wheel and wondering what to look out for.

I am going in eyes wide open, hoping the early stage niggles have been ironed out.
2018 D300 Range Rover Velar First Edition
2017 AMG GT-C Coupe
2013 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”