Range Rover Velar Forum banner

SIM not supported

22K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Wal 
#1 ·
Desperately trying to connect a SIM card in the Velar. I've bought 2 separate data only cards now, activated them on my iPhone but when I insert them into the car it tells me they're not supported. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please? I can connect the car via the Personal Hotspot on my phone but would prefer the ease of a SIM card.

Thanks

#5 ·
I also use the 3 data only SIM cards, the ones that give 12 gig or 12 months and then you chuck them. Not had any problems BUT I just unpackaged the card and put it in the car, followed the instructions and no problems. These cards run independently of any phone and aren't contract based.

So possibly the conflict is caused because you are activating them on the phone first and it's somehow tying itself to that device?

#6 ·
Wolfie said:
I also use the 3 data only SIM cards, the ones that give 12 gig or 12 months and then you chuck them. Not had any problems BUT I just unpackaged the card and put it in the car, followed the instructions and no problems. These cards run independently of any phone and aren't contract based.

So possibly the conflict is caused because you are activating them on the phone first and it's somehow tying itself to that device?
Thanks Wolfie that makes sense. As I've activated it on my iPhone I might have a problem now. Not sure if I can "unattach" it from the phone so I'll ask Google.

#9 ·
As there are some cards that are clearly not supported it would be nice if the dealerships could gibe some direction on to which ones will work in their vehicles, or the manufacturer could (like other brands) supply sim with a complementary free period, after all these are not cheap vehicles and you can get this service from some vehicles costing a third of the price

#11 ·
Andyvelar said:
As there are some cards that are clearly not supported it would be nice if the dealerships could gibe some direction on to which ones will work in their vehicles, or the manufacturer could (like other brands) supply sim with a complementary free period, after all these are not cheap vehicles and you can get this service from some vehicles costing a third of the price
A sim and 3 months free trial is offered in North America FWIW. Didn't realize you're on your own elsewhere!

#12 ·
There was a similar problem. I tried 3 SIM cards from different operators. The machine did not unobstruct either.
I went to the dealer. The error was confirmed. The manager inserted my card into his phone, turned on the Internet.
Potmo inserted the map into the car. Suddenly everything worked, the car read it.

#14 ·
Just to let you guys know, you don't actually need a SIM card to fit in your Velar , if you have a mobile phone that allows tethering... you can connect and use your mobile in that way and just have that one contract..!!

#15 ·
I got a '3' data SIM (24gb for 24 months for a £40 one-off payment)
I had to activate it at a shop (with one of their box activation units) and after this, it worked fine when plugged into the SIM slot in my Velar.
I do not recommend activating the data SIM on any phone as it may lock the SIM to the phone.

Hope this helps

#16 ·
I've had a 3 12gb data only sim in for the last year. Worked perfectly for 12months. When it expired I bought a 24gb 24month card. But I can't get it to work. It's definitely activated. It just keeps saying "sim not suppported"
Ive tried lots of things. Resetting the connectivity settings.
Any thoughts?

#17 ·
Had my EE sim activated and loaded in the EE store through the assistants personal phone and it worked fine as soon as I put it in the car.
EE has the fastest download speeds and best coverage, so decided to go with them over 3 who is my mobile provider.

#18 ·
Hi everyone.

I have received my velar on March 8,2019. I also bought a sim card for the vehicle but it seems that it is useless to get one.

Indeed I have discovered that if you connect the car in WiFi to your cellphone and share the data connection of your cellphone with the car, then the car will use the connection of your cellphone instead of the SIM.

I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.