Sound System Quality

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Loz

Sound System Quality

Post by Loz » Thu May 17, 2018 11:17 am

Any observations on the sound quality of the audio system in your Velar or other JLR car?

I have observed the following whilst listening to classical music or music with quieter spots. Listening via iPhone and USB on the upgraded audio system option.

1) An underlying background hiss that other systems either filter out if recorded when mastering the track or could this be created by the audio system i.e. induced distortion/ white noise

2) Static glitch noises from one of the many speakers at random i.e. glitch noise could be from one of the rear speakers and the next glitch noise comes from one of the front speakers. The glitch noise is a loud static discharge kind of noise.

Playing the same track on the same iPhone using the same lighting cable and other lightning cables induces no background hiss or static glitch noise on other cars.

KRG

Re: Sound System Quality

Post by KRG » Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Which sound system is this? I don't notice any hiss or static background noise, and I'm very sensitive to high frequencies. I hear occasional rattling from the door panels, but that seems to be it.
18 Velar R-Dynamic SE P250, Narvik Black/Eclipse

Loz

Post by Loz » Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 pm

The £ 1,550.00 Meridian Signature Sound System 23 speakers 1600w.

lajam

Post by lajam » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

I get the same static noise and the most annoying part is that it comes and goes, it's practically impossible for me to get the dealership to correct a problem that disappears often, I have the 18 Speaker Meridian system...
P250 R-Dynamic SE, Kaikura Stone. Added Options (Windsor Leather, HUD, Ambient Lighting, 360 Camera)

tanis

Post by tanis » Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 am

I haven't noticed it on mine but it's the 825w one.
D300 SE. Silicon Silver. With too many options.

Loz

Post by Loz » Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

To clarify the background hiss/ site noise/ interference is constant i.e. every track every time I play music every journey is to the static glitch noise that randomly comes from different speakers but it is pretty much constant i.e. recorded over 30 glitch sounds in five minutes.

Probably not so much of a problem if you listen to constant loud music but a real disappointment in terms of quality when listening to classical music or the spoken word i.e. in my case audiobooks.

One method for testing would be to record a baseline quiet track and loop it whilst the engine is on, engine off, driving, stationery etc. I have experienced the above in all circumstances. Could be anything from a bad earth to a faulty connection, bad amp, poor quality wiring, etc etc. Could even be a bad alternator, ignition system etc. In my case it is with a D300 so no HT spark system but plenty of other sources.

lajam if you have the same issue albeit intermittent I would still book in for it to be checked over. There might be common reasons for the issue that are already known across the JLR range as the same or similar components and electronic designs are used across the range.

Return to “Faults & Technical”