Velar dead - flat battery

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
MikeJL

Re: Velar dead - flat battery

Post by MikeJL » Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 pm

From my experience with the Qashqai it seems that modern batteries either hold charge or not, nothing in between and they just die without warning. One day working fine, the next completely dead and unserviceable. Your dealer will be able to tell all.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 18B

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 am

4th time lucky? This time roadside assistance are coming to tow the car away. Yesterday they took 12 hours to arrive, hopefully a bit more prompt today.

edit: successfully towed back to dealer service. They are trying to figure out what's wrong with it and will call me back today hopefully.

Should note that they were happy to receive the car and begin work on it immediately - normally I have to book 2-3 weeks in advance for a regular service.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed May 23, 2018 5:20 am

Main battery has been replaced, car is ready for me to pick up but they are going to hold onto the car until Monday.

Found a note in the online user manual: "Always secure the vehicle when left unattended." I guess this means the car must be locked if you're not driving it every day. Happy to take the blame for this, and I wil be sure to lock the car going forward, although I do find it funny that the battery runs completely empty in just 2 days (no other modern car I've ever had this problem.)

Loz

Post by Loz » Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 am

I have left other cars over a month without any use through winter and have still started on return. Definitely a warranty issue. Modern cars go into a low power mode after a short time from locking. Your LR dealer should ge able to run diagnostics to check for abnormal current drain over a test period i.e over night.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 am

Nice surprise from Land Rover Australia head office - rather than me dragging the family out to pick it up on Monday, they transported the Velar back to my house today.

Service sheet says the battery was faulty and replaced with a new one under warranty.

Everything seems back to normal :)

peterd

Post by peterd » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

good news for you, you know at least the reason and your problem is solved.

I have been awaken at 2Am this morning by Land rover, who got an alarm for loss of power.
I went to my garage , impossible to open the car: dead battery. I have not been using the car for 10 days because of
business trip. I have put my ctek 5 to charge the battery but the car is now in maintenance mode, I do not know if I can drive
if to the concession if the I miraculously I can charge the battery. I believe it will be difficult to tow the car away , the car is in an underground
garage at the second floor with small entrance and tight turns.
Hopefully I have the same problem than you, I would prefer au faulty battery to another "unknown problem".

GuyBa

Post by GuyBa » Thu May 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello
It exists excellent "battery booster" using Lithium ion
enabling to start a car with dead battery. For instance Nobo GB70 ...
I have got one after a bad experience of my car blocked outside the public road.
The avantage of the li-ion batteries is to keep the charge on a long term..
Now, always on board in case .....
Another good practise is using a charger like ctek 5. to maintain charge when the car is not used during several weeks.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 pm

@peterd sorry to hear you are also having battery problems.

For reference, roadside assistance used one of these to easily jump my diesel Velar...

ss (2018-05-24 at 10.58.33).jpg

There are several similar ones on eBay, all called "super mini booster".

peterd

Post by peterd » Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 am

This morning the ctek was in error mode, the battery is not charged.
Strange thing is that rear light are on when I charge, I could not find a way to switch them off, it is probably the reason
why the battery is dead ,maybe the rear light stayed on in my garage box during the entire week.

Tomorrow I will call the assistance , no time to dot it today ...

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am

Good luck, at least you still have enough power to light something up. My battery was so dead that not even the interior hazard button light was on! (it should always be on)

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”