Dashcams

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
mrgandfriends.co.uk

Dashcams

Post by mrgandfriends.co.uk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am

Was contemplating a dash cam and the best way to wire it etc as didn’t want cables just hanging but wondered if people had any recommendations of a) the best camera and b) install tips etc.

It’s a shame that the forward and rear facing cams can’t be hooked to a smart card reader etc that would be a neat feature.
Range Rover Velar, D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Corris Grey, Panoramic Sliding Roof, 21" 5 split-spoke 'Style 5047' with Diamond Turned finish, and a driver that smiles from ear to ear.

Andyvelar

Re: Dashcams

Post by Andyvelar » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:36 pm

I have a mid priced one by Next Base, I got it from Argos, the picture and playback is excellent, if you use the programme supplied with the cam, you can edit the videos, and it shows your position as you are driving on a map as well.
The installation was easy, and like you I don't like seeing trailing wirers, the cable pushes in between the headlining and the windscreen, tucks behind the door rubber trim, under the glove box, under the centre console trim and into the socket under the arm rest, the cable is just long enough to do this.

There is no evidence of the cable at all, only where it plugs into the camera mount, the camera has a magnetic mount so you don't need to unplug the cable when you want to remove the camera from the car, I tend to only do this when I remove the SD card to allow easier access

I cant add a picture for some reason at the moment as the file keeps saying it is invalid
D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:40 pm

I have a Thinkware F770 front and rear which I had professionally installed. All the wiring is hidden so it’s pretty discreet.

The installation of the rear camera wasn’t that easy though, because of the design of the tailgate. I can send you some pictures of it if helpful.
D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)
Thinkware dashcam front and rear

liben96

Post by liben96 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 am

Can you please post some pictures please...? :)

Andyvelar

Post by Andyvelar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:23 am

Picture of cam attached to windscreen

Dash Cam.JPG

Dash cam location

D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

cianelectric

Post by cianelectric » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 am

Can you please post some pictures please...? :)
Here you go... Sorry took be a bit of time as for some reason I couldn't post them directly from my iPhone.

It shows the front and the rear cameras. Hiding the wiring for the rear camera was a little tricky as it meant loosening the spoiler to get the wiring through the trunking into the tailgate. I think it's recommended to have the camera in the middle of the rear window, but there is no way to hide the wiring. The camera is very wide angle so you still get a good view of the road behind with it to one side. As I have privacy glass, you can't really see the rear camera at all from outside. The image on the camera is very good though and not dark (the model I have allows you to turn the brightness up on the image).

I'd posted on a separate thread about having problems with my DAB reception. I've just worked out that it's the rear camera interfering with the DAB aerial in the rear window. It is quite a known issue on some cars. The usual solution is to add a small ferrite core to the cable near the rear camera, so I'm going to try that. In the mean time I've disconnected the rear camera to stop it causing problems with my DAB!

I had it professionally installed but I had to route the wiring for the rear camera myself as the engineer didn't want to remove the spoiler. I also have a battery pack installed with it, so it records for 48-72 hours front and rear on time lapse when the car is parked.

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)
Thinkware dashcam front and rear

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”