Velar vs XC60

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Velacar

Velar vs XC60

Post by Velacar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 am

Hi all, I own a Velar SE P250 and just wanted to share my experience with an XC60 as many people compare both cars:

Rented one for a week, with a few basic options and here are main points:

XC60 feels much smaller including booth. Comfort of the model without pneumatic suspension is similar to Velar’s on coils and engine is as good.

However, many of you complain about the Velar’s software but I can tell you one thing: the XC60 is much much worse:

- system takes forever to boot
- Rear camera takes forever to turn on, and if a car passes close to you during your manœuvre, it will kick you out of camera module and tell you you have traffic around
- the traffic recognition has a major lag: many bikes passed me on red lights: the system would beep when the guy was already 5-10 cars ahead of me
- you can’t customize the interactive dashboard (at least on the model I had)
- the automatic parking feature is rubbish: it couldn’t park in an American sized parallel parking space. When I tried the feature to get out of it (after I parked it myself in one go) it stopped in the middle of the manœuvre and told me to take over (like “here, I put you in a sh*tty position now you get out of it alone”).

These are the main things I found annoying and made me even more comfortable with the choice of the velar.

Velarian

Re: Velar vs XC60

Post by Velarian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:55 am

I did a test drive with both cars as well and personally I prefer the Velar in all aspects. The XC60 gave a roll-over feeling when turning whereas the Velar’s suspension seems to be much better in avoiding the typical SUV feeling. Not to mention that the Velar looks just absolutely stunning and is a rare sight on the road compared to the Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D180 R-Dynamic SE MY19 - Corris Grey - Pano Sunroof

Rusticana

Post by Rusticana » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 am

One of my good friends has just collected an XC90 - 18 plate.

We're due to meet up for a look around each others cars. I'll report back on how that one fairs compared to the Velar.
Range Rover Velar - D240 SE - Byron Blue

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Interesting comparison. I also cross-shopping the XC-60 and Velar and had a similar impression. While both cars are tuned for comfort (unlike the F-Pace, another of my cross-shopping, which has more nimble handling but a much harsher ride over less than perfect roads). But the Volvo feels floaty and wallowy on turns and over bumps.

They both have stunning interoirs (though the Velar dials it up to 11), taking a similar minimalist approach with few physical controls and running practically everything off of big touchscreens. Personally, I prefer more physical controls, but the Velar's design approch to touch screen control is superior. I also found the Volvo screen laggy.

And as for the automated parking, yes it more a concept than an actual implementation in the XC-60. In one of my test drives I asked the sales person to demonstrate the feature to me. After three tries he gave up.

On the drivetrain, I had issues. The base I4 turbo engine (P250 equivalent) was smooth and shifted crisply and if that is what you want, you are good. But if you want more power Volvo gets it through a progressive layering process on that same engine rather than offering something with greater displacement. Their next step in power is the same engine with the same tuning but with a supercharger added to the turbo. So as you climb and descend the power curve the drivetrain is being turned by a constantly changing combination of three power sources. I did not find it a particularly smooth process. But it gets worse. Want even more power? Take that same set of 3 and add a 4th: an electric engine running the rear wheels. Yikes!

On the other hand, while not cheap the CX-60 is still a lot less expensive than the Velar and in designing their infotainment system they partnered with Google. So while it is less well-conceived and can be slow and laggy, based as it is on an older generation of the Android operating system, it is a pretty stable system.

And finally, who really cares about automated parking (now apparently standard on all but Velar's base trim)? I'd much rather have adaptive cruise control and a power-adjusted steering wheel. :)
On order: MY19.5 R-Dynamic P380 HSE, Kaikoura Stone, Black Contrast Roof, Light Oyster/Dapple Grey Premium Textile Seating, lotsa other stuff. Est. build date 7 Dec 2018, delivery date 18 Jan 2019.

DangerMouseUK

Post by DangerMouseUK » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

I'll weigh in on this one, as I've recently been looking at both.

Considering the reasonable price difference, I think its a lot closer than what it first appears.

The Velar does beat the XC60 in driving, comfort, interior, style, but then again its about 20-30% more expensive so that has to be figured into things.

I was looking at an Inscription Pro not sure which spec you guys were looking at or engines but I was reasonably impressed with the XC60.

Halifaxian

Post by Halifaxian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:17 am

It too looked at the XC60 love the interior especially in the very light grey . If you where lucky enough to get the Stratstone deal the Velar works out cheaper on the PCP. I haven't driven either (although ive orderrd a Velar) so can't comment that way but I would say that the Volvo comes in a better colour range.
Dynamic SE 180
Silicon Silver
Black Roof
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
Acorn
Extended Leather
Drivers pack ACC
Full panaramic roof
No car

KIZZYP

Post by KIZZYP » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I wasn't aware automated parking is now standard on s ,se and hse ??
D275 R DYNAMIC SE BYRON BLUE , ACORN LEATHER , SATIN BLONDE VENEER, 21" GLOSS BLACK WHEELS , OPEN PAN ROOF, LED LIGHTING , 360 CAMERA , ON/OFF ROAD PACK. PRIVACY GLASS.

97 DEFENDER 90
57 FIESTA 1.25 ZETEC

Halifaxian

Post by Halifaxian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 pm

My spec sheet says it's being built into mine due build date 8th March....but it says android and Apple car play are not.
Dynamic SE 180
Silicon Silver
Black Roof
Privacy Glass
Heated Steering Wheel
Acorn
Extended Leather
Drivers pack ACC
Full panaramic roof
No car

KIZZYP

Post by KIZZYP » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Just been looking on the configurator...I presume its called the "park assist" on the se and hse.....I thought that was just the beeping bumper proximity sensors ...bonus ..this car just continues to give :o) !
D275 R DYNAMIC SE BYRON BLUE , ACORN LEATHER , SATIN BLONDE VENEER, 21" GLOSS BLACK WHEELS , OPEN PAN ROOF, LED LIGHTING , 360 CAMERA , ON/OFF ROAD PACK. PRIVACY GLASS.

97 DEFENDER 90
57 FIESTA 1.25 ZETEC

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”