Start Stop - is it a waste of time?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Andyvelar

Start Stop - is it a waste of time?

Post by Andyvelar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I find the start stop a waste of time and cant see how it can be doing the engine any good at all.
Especially in this weather with the air con going, it is never going to run with the engine off for too long.
I know it can be turned off, but this has to be done every time you start up, maybe there should be an option to keep it turned off?
It seems that you pull up in traffic and the engine stops, then after about 20seconds it starts again, unless there is something wrong with mine that seems not to be worth while, and I find it annoying and uncomfortable when you come too a brief stop, say entering a roundabout, or in a traffic jam, and the engine stops and immediately starts again.
D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

MikeJL

Re: Start Stop - is it a waste of time?

Post by MikeJL » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm

I agree that the stop period is too short. JLR seem to be a bit paranoid about battery charge. The ignition also switches off very quickly if you don’t start the engine and most (maybe all) power hungry features (eg heated seats) aren’t available without the engine on. None of the above applied to my last car (a Mercedes).

Would be good too if you could hold the car on the parking brake without the engine restarting.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenza Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(

Corris

Post by Corris » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 pm

3 million cars in London alone, many of which spend a lot of the day in stationary traffic/at lights etc. I think it probably makes a difference to air quality, albeit slight.

Andyvelar

Post by Andyvelar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 am

Corris wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 pm
3 million cars in London alone, many of which spend a lot of the day in stationary traffic/at lights etc. I think it probably makes a difference to air quality, albeit slight.
I agree, on my last cat it used to stop for a decent length of time and that was acceptable, but the short length of time the Velar shuts down, I would think it does more damage than good, and it cant do the starts motor much good either
D240 R Dynamic S, Firenze Red with Black Pack and 21"Gloss Black Wheels

chrissyrw

Post by chrissyrw » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:02 pm

I really am not a fan of auto start/stop. It was nearly a deal breaker. But I noticed that the only time it ever really engages is when I'm not drawing a lot from the battery. So, with it being so hot, I have the AC and cooled seats going nonstop. The auto start/stop rarely activates for me. 🤷‍♂️
~ Chrissy

Meghan the Duchess:'18 RR Velar P380 SE R-Dynamic
Fuji white (for now), Acorn interior, Ceramic Pro'd

IG: @chrissyrw @duchessvelar

paranoia64

Post by paranoia64 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 pm

The duration of the Start/Stop depends on many parameters. In the current heat, the AC will start the engine after a short period of time. In fall and winter you'll recognise longer durations. Counting up on all cars, it makes sense and certainly somehow a difference - do I like it? Certainly not, but I believe going forward this will be standard on all cars

maitology

Post by maitology » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Hate start stop and would love to have it disabled permanently

GeorgeB

Post by GeorgeB » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 am

It makes a lot of sense to turn off the engine when it's not needed but the minimum time required to save any fuel is 20 seconds , as mentioned above this is not always achievable but something we are all going to have to live with and get used to.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:39 am

BMW stated everything above 4 sec. is already efficient for fuel saving. Why should it be significantly different for any other car? Since we didn’t engineer this car, I trust the engineers who did. All this clueless assumptions seem useless to me.
The ZF gearbox is using kinetic energy in springs to release it when starting the engine to support the restart process. I happened to talk to one of the engineers who constructed the Velars gearbox.

wr3gl

Post by wr3gl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:04 pm

What I dislike most about Start/Stop feature is how quickly it engages, like when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign at an empty intersection. I wish it had a short delay before activating.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”