JLR CRC have no idea about their vehicles

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
makse

JLR CRC have no idea about their vehicles

Post by makse » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:57 pm

I emailed them about the info on the website that states that all new Velar will come with a 500mb per month SIM card for 3 years ...

My email :

I picked up my new velar on the 31st July and when I queried about the free SIM card, with 500mb per month, that is mentioned on the website I was told that it was for MY19 builds only.
I find this rather odd and not very customer focused.

Could you please confirm what the situation is with the SIM card.

And this was the response I got today

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm sim cards are only available for 2019 model year vehicles and not 2018 model year. As you can appreciate we are looking to make improvements to all our vehicles. This cannot be retrospectively fitted into your vehicle as the modules would not be the same as 2019 model year.

Thank you for your time.
R-Dynamic SE D240 in Corris Grey with Light Oyster leather/Ebony suede cloth, sliding pano, 21" Satin Grey wheels, air suspension, deployable steps, and a few other options :)

EarthMover

Re: JLR CRC have no idea about their vehicles

Post by EarthMover » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 pm

What an idiotic answer!

I had the same question in mind as I've just picked up my 2018 model car and not SIM card was provided. I have just bought one on eBay for £16, valid for 12 months.
Range Rover Velar SE D300 R-Dynamic

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 pm

18MY cars have two SIM cards, one embedded in the vehicle for emergency calls & remote services, & a second that you add yourself for sat nav data. Perhaps for 19 MY they have dropped the second SIM and run everything through the embedded one. Makes sense from a manufacturing point of view, but allows JLR to set data prices once the free period ends.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenza Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(

makse

Post by makse » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:56 pm

@MikeJL I see your reasoning but when queried with the dealer when I picked the vehicle up last week he said that the 500mb sim card from LR is the same as anybody else could purchase from the likes of EE, O2 etc.
Also just checked the MY19 handbook and it still has a section on inserting a SIM card within the central cubby box.
R-Dynamic SE D240 in Corris Grey with Light Oyster leather/Ebony suede cloth, sliding pano, 21" Satin Grey wheels, air suspension, deployable steps, and a few other options :)

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm

makse wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:56 pm
@MikeJL I see your reasoning but when queried with the dealer when I picked the vehicle up last week he said that the 500mb sim card from LR is the same as anybody else could purchase from the likes of EE, O2 etc.
Also just checked the MY19 handbook and it still has a section on inserting a SIM card within the central cubby box.
Then it looks like the title of your thread is correct! JLR are entitled to bring in new features or changes as they see fit; but making up reasons (or plain lying) about it doesn’t do them any favours.

ronniewales

Post by ronniewales » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I was given a sim card by my dealer when i collected my car last month and was told to get a new one myself when the data runs out. How do i know if i have one embedded in the vehicle and also how do i know when the one in the centre cubby box runs out.
Velar P380 R-Dynamic HSE , Yulong White, 22" Wheels, Head up Display, Pano Sun Roof with Black Contrast Roof, Surround Camera

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:05 pm

ronniewales wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:28 pm
I was given a sim card by my dealer when i collected my car last month and was told to get a new one myself when the data runs out. How do i know if i have one embedded in the vehicle and also how do i know when the one in the centre cubby box runs out.
If you use the remote app, you will see that it still works when your SIM card is removed.
When the one in the cubby runs out, you will no longer see traffic information, fuel prices, etc, & when searching for destinations the car will tell you it hasn’t got an internet connection (unless you’ve switched the warning off)

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”