Speedo indicating 5% high

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
daniellm

Speedo indicating 5% high

Post by daniellm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:24 am

The digital speedo on my car reads 5% high.

At an actual 95km/hr as determined by my phone GPS the speedo indicates 100km/hr, or at an actual 60 km/hr it reads 63 km/hr. I have had Audi A8's previously and they indicated 100km/hr at 100 km/hr.

Is 100% accuracy possible, or is everyone one else seeing this error? Can the speedo accuracy be calibrated?
HSE D300 Indus Silver

cianelectric

Re: Speedo indicating 5% high

Post by cianelectric » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 pm

I understood that most cars over-read by about 5% and they do that deliberately for safety reasons. I doubt you can do anything to change it.
D240 SE Corris / Acorn Leather with lots of options (including extended leather, aluminium door trim, sliding roof, air suspension, electric tow bar, activity key)
Thinkware dashcam front and rear

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:47 pm

I would also note that your phone gps’ signal may be different than in your A8, and thus may be the part actually skewed, not the speedo. I’ve noticed that my phone gps is not as consistent as in my previous Macan, often placing me off the road I’m actually on randomly when around the city before recorrecting. Don’t know if that affects the phone speedo, but it definitely impacts its location.

I’d be interested to hear others experiences comparing something like waze’s speedo to the Velar’s for more data points.
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior

zooter1977

Post by zooter1977 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I would say, having used a separate GPS Speed Camera detector (that shows current speed) and also having passed a few of those road signs that show your current speed, I would say that my speedo is almost 10% out. But I find this perfectly normal - my last 2 BMW's were at least 5% out as well.

As has been pointed out - for legal reasons, they err on the side of caution as manufacturers and if there is to be any margin of error, it's going to show your speed as higher than it actually is. Your Audi A8 must have been a bit of an anomaly. Imagine if the speedo was less than what the car was actually doing - I could foresee JLR (or other manufacturers) going through several legal battles against customers who have been caught speeding!

rstratfo

Post by rstratfo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:54 pm

I built a kit car and there are special rules around speedo readings, you can’t get through the IVA test if it reads too low. I think there is a 10% tolerance for reading too high. Best to be under the actual speed limit considering how expensive the fines are nowadays!

Mac

Post by Mac » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:02 am

All speedomoters are deliberately set high by manufacturers.

The speedometer is mechanical and readings be affected by wheel size, tyre wear etc.

Manufacturers set high in order to prevent any claims against them i.e. speeding tickets. Your sat nav, gps etc will be much more accurate.

I set my cruise control/speed limiter at around 75mph and this has me doing around 70mph
Velar S D240. Narvik Black

Return to “Faults & Technical”