Dash Cam - 10 minute quick and easy hardwire install

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Pcheaven

Dash Cam - 10 minute quick and easy hardwire install

Post by Pcheaven » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:13 am

Having read a very helpful guide here on hardwiring a dash cam ( credit makse ), I was able to streamline the process a little and remove less trim.
My installation took around 10 minutes, though I have done a few of these before.

Tools needed:
  • Torx or Allen key set
    Optional plastic trim remover
Steps

1. Locate the passenger fuse box, and remove the cover plate to expose the fuses.
2. Lift up and off the door tread plate - This is very tight, a trim remover may assist, but ultimately pull it up firmly from each end from the inside edge of the car. There are 4 or 5 clips that should pop out, though expect one to break off. If one breaks this isn’t a major issue as the Tread plate will still refix securely
3. Pull off the door seal on the A pillar from the tread plate to the top of the door
4. Around the edge of the fuse box is a large gap, feed through this gap the EARTH lead and the POWER lead for the dash cam ( AS PICTURED ). They should feed through easily, if its a challenge tape them to the end of a long screwdriver and its then ,much easier to direct the leads behind the trim away from the fuse box.
5. When you removed the door tread plate you revealed a single TORX screw - use this as the EARTH POINT ( AS PICTURED )
This screw was not very tight, so an ALLEN key will suffice if no TORX tools are available.
6 Run the Dashcam power lead around the A pilar and behind the Upper A pillar trim, and press under the edge of the headliner on the edge of the windscreen
DO NOT RUN IT OVER THE A PILLAR AIR BAG - run it slightly above the air bag where the plastic trim is.
7. Insert fuse .

That’s it., tidy up the cables and refit removed parts.

D6391FA9-8425-42B8-ACE0-472A0DB6B438.jpeg

I-Pace First Edition. Photon Red

Gone : R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting

rebel1978

Re: Dash Cam - 10 minute quick and easy hardwire install

Post by rebel1978 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for this, I'll give it a go. I haven't refitted my dashcam from my previous car yet, usually get a car electrician I know to do it but this seems pretty straightforward.

Dani80

Post by Dani80 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm

Firstly - really appreciate this post and the original one from Makse. I hardwired my dashcam up over Christmas and it looks much better without the wires hanging everywhere.

One problem I'm having - when I open my car in the morning and the dashcam powers up, it is 50/50 whether it starts connected to the car electrics or whether it starts on it's internal battery. If it starts on the internal battery, I have to switch the unit off and then on again, for it to go onto the car electrics.

I connected the hardwire kit to the cigarette lighter fuse (which was strangely empty, given I have a working lighter socket!).

Anyone got any ideas?
MY2019 Velar D180 R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass
Ambient Lighting

dannybox

Post by dannybox » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Thanks for the great step by step guide, which fuse did you piggy back off?
R-Dynamic SE D180, Narvik Black, 21” 10 Spoke (Style 1022) Black, Black Pack, Privacy Glass