Trying to find source of a rattle!

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Matty

Trying to find source of a rattle!

Post by Matty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:13 pm

My one month old Velar has developed a rattle and I’m struggling to pinpoint where it’s coming from. It’s starting to really irritate me now!

It sounds like it’s coming from the drivers door or the right side of the dash to the right of the steering wheel (UK car).

Anyone else experienced a rattle from the same vicinity?
R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

Pcheaven

Re: Trying to find source of a rattle!

Post by Pcheaven » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Sorry can’t help

My velar is perfect in every way and has zero rattles, unless the wife leaves her crap in the door pockets....
R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting, remote seat release,heated steering wheel

J77

Post by J77 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:38 pm

It’s the one I don’t have is interior rattles, I sometimes get a rattle from the bonnet when I close the passenger door though.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 18MY R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White

veldb

Post by veldb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 am

I'm in the US, so we're on the left here, but we have a similar rattle in ours. It's more of a vibration, and it sounded like it was coming from behind the steering wheel or towards the door. It took a while to figure out, but it turned out to be coming from the roof. I guess the acoustics are such that it caused a bit of misdirection as to where we thought the sound was coming from.

Anyway, if you push on the roof somewhere between the grab handle and the visor, the noise stops. I can tap in that area as well and produce a similar sound. It just sounds hollow up there, like some insulation is missing or something. I remember reading another post somewhere where someone claimed that it was because the grab handles are screwed in too tight, causing some distortion to something in there, and by just loosening the screws holding the handle to the ceiling you could fix it. I haven't tried it myself yet, but will soon.

Anyway, hope that helps. Just tap and push around up there and see if you can either reproduce the noise, or make it stop. That's all we did to find it.

Matty

Post by Matty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:34 am

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take a look at that later on 👍
R-Dynamic SE
Santorini Black
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”