The place to discuss everything else..
Mac

Re: Best dash cam for a Velar?

Post by Mac » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 am

KLRichards wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 am
Mac wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Have the dash cam fitted next to mirror, I don't even notice it is there when driving.

IMG_0707.jpg
Noticed you had the mount stuck to the "dotted" area on the screen. I was told that you aren't supposed to stick anything on that area, as it can effect the auto sensors (rain sensor, I guess).
Think you have been fed rubbish!

The sensors are behind the mirror casing and the camera has no effect on them whatsoever, you can see the sensor area from outside the car. The dots are just cosmetic.

I forget I have a dash cam and never really notice it is there, can't really see it from the driving position unless I make an effort to look.
Velar S D240. Narvik Black - Scotland

saqibm

Post by saqibm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am

I have my dash cam installed on the black dots and not had a problem with the auto sensing. It’s also WiFi enabled and my DAB seems to work fine.. Thinkware Q800 Pro front and back.

Love the positioning in the front, it’s quite central but you can barely see it from drivers side. The rear however is a difficult one to get right, due the massive rear spoiler meaning you can’t position it too high without getting half the view blocked out.

KLRichards

Post by KLRichards » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Cheers.. I always suspected that to be rubbish.. But I put a NextBase cam in my daughters car, and the installation guide on that, said not to fit onto the "dotted" areas of the screen. I called NextBase customer support and the guy on the support line told me that line, which is why I believed him (to a point)...

Mind you, I have found sticking to that area on the screen doesn't give as good adhesion as elsewhere. Guess as being slightly raised, allows the seal to leak and subsequently fall.
Range Rover Velar 2.0 SE (R-Dynamic) - White with Black roof, Black wheels and Black pack.... (finally arrived :D )

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri May 17, 2019 10:08 am

saqibm wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am
I have my dash cam installed on the black dots and not had a problem with the auto sensing. It’s also WiFi enabled and my DAB seems to work fine.. Thinkware Q800 Pro front and back.

Love the positioning in the front, it’s quite central but you can barely see it from drivers side. The rear however is a difficult one to get right, due the massive rear spoiler meaning you can’t position it too high without getting half the view blocked out.
Where did you get yours from? I actually happened to pick up one myself from the RAC shop at https://www.racshop.co.uk/q800-dash-cam.html . As soon as I saw "Quad HD" I was sold ha ha

saqibm

Post by saqibm » Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 am

Lol. A local garage supplied and fitted it for me.

https://www.the-autowerks.com/

BootneckShuffle

Post by BootneckShuffle » Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am

Anyone got any experience/views with integrated cams in the mirror itself? Like the idea of being able to view a front or back camera on the rear view mirror but not sure if they’re any good etc.

Defo want something unobtrusive and absolutely zero wires showing.

kukoc7

Post by kukoc7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Nice set up. From where do you power the camera? Where does the power supply cables goes? It's connected directly to roof interior lighting?

MITO

Post by MITO » Fri May 17, 2019 6:49 pm

KLRichards wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 am

Noticed you had the mount stuck to the "dotted" area on the screen. I was told that you aren't supposed to stick anything on that area, as it can effect the auto sensors (rain sensor, I guess).

As you have done that, do you know if that's ok or have I been fed some rubbish device. Its something that has been putting me off dashcams, as sticking them below or to the side of the "dotted" area, just puts the cam in the way.

With all the cameras on the cars these days, rear, front, side even, I don't understand why they cant offer a dashcam option that isn't obtrusive and makes use of the cameras on the car.
I don't have a dash cam, but I do have a toll transponder stuck to that dotted area, because I have the solar attenuating windshield/screen, and this area is where the attenuating material is absent, allowing a clear signal between the transponder and the toll sensors. The manual explicitly recommends putting transponders here. The rain sensing wipers work just fine for me.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”