D300? SVA? Talk me out of it? Or don't.

New to the Range Rover Velar Forums? Introduce yourself here
geniusloci

D300? SVA? Talk me out of it? Or don't.

Post by geniusloci » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi,
Wife and I started looking at the Velar ever since we saw one while waiting on a border check. Love at first sight. IMO it's the best looking non-super car on the market, and that's twice truer compared to any other SUV. Currently we have a Mazda 6 GJ wagon, but you should probably know what makes me tick:

- Had an Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 V6 6-gear manual (well, 5, I've never used much the 6th), with a bit sportier suspension, I loved every bit of it but it was a nightmare to keep it working, no matter where it was serviced. Despite being FWD, it was glued to the road, no body roll, sound was as good as it can get (the Arese being famous about it), 240 hp with 1540 kg body and a pedal response and breaks like no other. Mighty thirsty though, I've gotten as far as 18+ urban (and as low as 7.5 highway). Had to let it go at the end, totally unreliable electronics, and no one could fix it in a way that it won't break until next stop.

- Got the new Mazda 6 when it came out, the dealer talked me into their diesel. It's a marvelous tech, but... when I get past 120 kmph, it was mostly making noise (grinding wheelnuts), not much else. Sure, it's revvy for a diesel, and I've driven it with 200+ kmph in Germany, but it's not made for that, even the auto box only has 5 good gears and one made for driving with 120. Lot's of body roll compared to the Alfa on tighter roads for no apparent reason, and despite all the praises in the reviews - I don't think the handling feels sporty (sure, I haven't driven an Avensis) w/o the 19'' rims. And I've blown 2 tires with these as I live in Bulgaria and our roads are that great.

- When Mazda came up with their first face lift, we picked up the 2.5i ScyactivG, which is much better in many regards. But it is not 4x4, not even the new one right now has the petrol AWD option. Engine feels great if you step on the pedal/sport mode (7 point something to 100 w/o doing true launches, and it feels like it), noise is... well, it might as well not have any. Only growls a bit in the low revs and mosty while cold. It's a family car and that's all, nothing to be excited apart from the great color and looks. And it can't go off-road, no matter the 16+ cm of clearance.

So finally we decided to get a Velar. At least I will know why it leans in the corners.
- P380... turns out they don't sell it anymore here.
- P300 - 4cyl-no-tyanks, it's not a Stelvio...
- D300 R-Dynamics HSE (a diesel, and I will have to live with that), and not quite up to my expectations of "fast".
- The SVA. It may make my heart pump faster, but my kid will have to sleep in it while I'm driving. And it seems there is no really muffled sound option in the menus... plus it would eat fuel, considering my driving style always puts me on the lowest end of the mileage. Ignoring the latter, I just don't know what to do with the sound being incompatible with "family-friendly". Is it really that noisy?

Does anyone know whether the V8 has quiet mode that would make it...bearable for a family? I know it's early to tell, but people have seen it in the RRS, and someone might know more.
Or, alternatively - does the D300 sound like a nut grinder, or it has at least some growl? Does it feel

I need help. Do I get the SVA or I can live with the D300?
Or I need someone to talk me out of buying the Velar and get something else... (but then all the rivals are so ugly compared to it).
First Edition D300 in Silver Flux

LeoLondon

Re: D300? SVA? Talk me out of it? Or don't.

Post by LeoLondon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:10 pm

All in all the Velar is essentially a family car with some great tech, plenty of luxury and a decent amount of power, I’d say if you like a good deal of performance, nothing to hectic, considering your kid’s safety over speed and thrill I’d say you can’t go wrong with a D300.
R-Dynamic HSE 3.0 D300, Corris Grey, Blk Pack, Eb Windsor, Sliding P Roof, Blk Con Roof, Priv Gls, HUD, Meridian 1600W, Drv Ass Pack, Clim Pack, Config Amb Lights, Illum Trd Plates, Pwr Sockets Rear, Conv Pack, Htd wheel, 21" Blk Gloss Wheels

melbarro

Post by melbarro » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:50 pm

You should test drive the P300 in dynamic mode and sport setting ....quiet smooth and very powerful (dynamic mode almost entirely eliminates the turbo lag) .... dont write it off just because its a 4cylinder - Ive got one and I love it !!
Cheers
P300 RDynamic HSE corris, sliding pano roof, laser led headlights, 20" diamond cut wheels, air susp, full ext leather, HUD, surround cameras, activity bracelet, config interior lighting, DAB, rear heated seats.

Richie.A

Post by Richie.A » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 am

The P380 and the P300 are similar in performance.

The P380 engine is an 8 cylinder with 2 removed, it's much heavier compared to the P300 I-4 Turbo.

Performance aren't far off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_Rover_Velar
  • 2007 Mustang V6 Conv
  • 2010 RR Sport HSE SC
  • 2012 Audi A6
  • 2018 RR Velar P380 First Edition

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:10 am

melbarro wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:50 pm
You should test drive the P300 in dynamic mode and sport setting ....quiet smooth and very powerful (dynamic mode almost entirely eliminates the turbo lag) .... dont write it off just because its a 4cylinder - Ive got one and I love it !!
Cheers
I haven't even considered it before. Sounded pushed too far, and not sure about the sound. But now I've read few threads around the forum, weights so much lower.

...man, this doesn't get any easier...

P380NarvikEclipse

Post by P380NarvikEclipse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 pm

My neighbor has an SVR, and compared to my other neighbor’s X5M, it’s quiet unless punching the accelerator. The 5.0 engine is paired with an “active exhaust” so you can turn up the “throat” as needed though. He’s definitely rumbled the block on a few occasions :lol: ask to hear an SVR or FF SVAutobiography even though pipes are different.

With that being said, I agree with the above on the D300 and P300 if you don’t mind a bit less power/prestige compared to SVA. Test them out!
‘18 RR Velar R-Dynamic SE P380, Narvik Black wrapped in Xpel Stealth PPF, Eclipse interior and a number of extras

VELAR5

Post by VELAR5 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:30 pm

I will not count on P300 and D300 at all ! geniusloci ,I can give you some advice and expertise about Velar on PM. And of course let you know how to proceed with local dealers which is not an easy task :)
BMW X5 35d Xdrive 2009 /286hp/
NISSAN Juke nismo 2013 /200hp/ AWD
RANGE ROVER VELAR HSE First Edition Corris Grey P380 2018

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Sat May 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Been some time since I've asked here, and there is some development. I was very disappointed with the dealership, slow to reply w/o me calling them, and I've asked them about top specced P300 and D300. They couldn't find one for a test drive. Then I started looking at German websites offerings (0-3k km), prices are a better, even if I couldn't chose color, etc.

I've dropped the idea of SVA, saw few videos of it being tested on Nurburgring, too noisy. Also the colors I like on it cost a small fortune, and the new body kit is overwhelming, I love the R-Dynamics trim, but the SVA looses the beautiful pose when looked from the sides. Looks a bit more like a regular SUV instead "Velar-ish". It was probably intentional, more bad-ass, but takes away from the appeal. Plus the price, and it still doesn't have everything in the base cost so I have to add options.

At the end I've configured D300 R-Dynamics HSE with Extended Leather 2, 5047 diamond cut rims, black fixed pano roof, locking diff, heads-up display, Indus color instead of the Silicone Silver I wanted (it's 1000 EUR more, on top of one that costs 1000 already), etc. About 100k EUR by the pricelist, with a promise of some discount. Asked for similarly specced P300 offer too. Took 'em some time to be honest...

Then the dealer came up with a First Edition D300 about an year and ...something old. 40k km on the dash. Matt paint, 22-inch rims (which is a shyte where I live, I've nearly broken 17-inch wheel with like double more tyre getting back from the dealership), but I'll check ebay for something smaller. Has everything but the 4-zone climate control, I believe. Someone returned the beauty and got a RRS instead, shedding some 35-40k euro from the price in the process. So now I'm waiting offer for my previous car and looking forward to signing for this one.

I know D300 has some problems with our fuel quality, but I'll stick to the more expensive fuels and rely on the warranty. Will post images when I get it.

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:24 am

Got the car, there are few quirks, as with any used one:
- driver door seal should be changed
- paint needs fixes before could seal it with ptoper nanocoat
- no InControl (n/a in Bulgaria according to the dealer, may be when they start receiving Velars with it later this year there will be some upgrade, or I hope so)
- came with 22" winter tires only and I need 2-3 weeks to get the 21's I wanted for a decent price, or buy 22-inch summer tires, and I'm still unsure about driving on 22-inch

Otherwise I just made 100 miles and the 22's are not that bad most of the time. I live everything else.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Looks a beaut!
On order due for delivery Sept 2019:

MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Return to “Introductions”