Rejection Offer - Advice Needed

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Mac

Rejection Offer - Advice Needed

Post by Mac » Mon May 13, 2019 8:23 pm

I am now in the process of rejecting my Velar which the dealership is supporting and are being very helpful. There have been various serious issues over the first year of ownership resulting in many visits to the workshops and engine out twice to repair balance shafts amongst other things.

Although there has not yet been confirmation of rejection from Land Rover, the Dealer Principal does not forsee any issues with rejection and is confident that this will be accepted.

When discussing the options available I was left confused and this is where i could do with some advice if anybody has experience. The following were proposed options:

1. Land Rover replace our vehicle with a brand new Velar of identical specification. This would be acceptable to me until we were told the following - Our current 4 year PCP deal would be ended and a new 4 year PCP would be started! I questioned this expecting simply to get a new car for the defective one and continue with the current PCP ending in 3 years. I was told this would be a “perceived benefit” and would not be authorised (this is strange as a previous rejection of an Evoque resulted in a new car with no change to the finance)

2. Hand the car back. I informed him that legally we were entitled to all out payments back and Land Rover were only entitled to make an adjustment for mileage. He informed me this could be as much as 75p per mile (is this amount allowed) as it has covered 10,000 mikes this would be £7,500 deduction!

Any advice or experience would be appreciated
Velar S D240. Narvik Black - Scotland

Pcheaven

Re: Rejection Offer - Advice Needed

Post by Pcheaven » Mon May 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Interesting

In the england. Rejection is with the dealer. Who is legally responsible as they sold you the car.. Land Rover play no part unless either you or the dealer ask them to contribute. Either way they would have no say. It’s a consumer rights issue. Guess it’s different north of the wall.

I tend to agree to continue the pcp with a new car would be a benefit to you, and difficult to negotiate.

I think they would really struggle to charge you 75p per mile. You do have to pay for the use of the car. Often this is around 41-45p
If it was me I would reject and negotiate the usage charges. During this process other offers “may become available”. I think they are trying to scare you off by mentioning it could cost 75p per mile

Call their bluff. Ask for a written and binding cost to reject. You don’t have to accept it.

Good luck
I-Pace First Edition. Photon Red

Gone : R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 pm

Edit

I rejected a discovery 5 after 15 odd months.
Got land rover to contribute a further £10,000 as I wasn’t happy with the dealer calculations.

They didn’t bat an eye. Only one condition. Buy another JLR.
So I got a velar :)
I-Pace First Edition. Photon Red

Gone : R Dynamic HSE D300. HeadsUp, black pack, 22&20” black wheels, Off road pack, Tracker, air ionisation, tow bar, roof rails, pano roof, privacy glass, illuminated door plates, extended leather, config lighting

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 pm

Interested to ask...what about rejecting leased cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLRichards

Post by KLRichards » Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm

I think you need proper legal advice. You cannot be held responsible if a product is "not fit for purpose". And that is the key term. But deciding if a car is fit for purpose can be a tricky one. If the vehicle spend an unacceptable amount of time off the road, that is NOT fit for purpose, and as such I think you have a strong case. But if the reason for it being off the road is cosmetic, ie, loose trims, ripped seats, satnav not working, etc.. It can be argued by the dealer/manufacturer, who would have good lawyers, that this didn't stop the car being used as designed and that the faults where being sorted. I, personally say, thats tosh, but this is where I think you need proper consumer legal advice.

My Velar is on a PCP deal, and I wouldn't be happy with taking a new one, as the deal I got, Stratstone changed and it costs a hell of alot more. So, if I was in the same boat, I would not be accepting NEW T&Cs giving me a worse deal than I had, and would not expect to pay any mileage payment for what I had done (if not over the pro-rata contracted mileage), as that is within the agreed T&Cs.

Get proper legal advise...
Range Rover Velar 2.0 SE (R-Dynamic) - White with Black roof, Black wheels and Black pack.... (finally arrived :D )

Mac

Post by Mac » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm

The reason it is being rejected is pretty straightforward. The balancer shafts failed resulting in the engine being removed and repaired. The new balancer shafts lasted only 1000 miles before failing resulting in engine out again. This is the reason for rejection but there have been other issues with brakes etc.

What bothers me is that I have not enjoyed the last year with the car and it has caused stress and inconvenience. I would expect to simply swap this car with a new one and continue with my current PCP (3 years remaining). I don’t agree that I start a new 4 year PCP with the new car. Not my fault I have been driving a lemon for the last year!
Velar S D240. Narvik Black - Scotland

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”