Tracker for Velar

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
MajorSqueeze

Tracker for Velar

Post by MajorSqueeze » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi All,

I am due to get my new Velar during September but need advice on the best type of Tracker to fit.

I'm only interested in the S5 Thatcham category, which comes with ADR Tags, so I seem to have a choice between 3 :

Tracker S5 PLUS
SmarTrack S5 Plus
Scorpion Track Driver Pro STX71 S5

What bothers me a bit is that all of the companion smartphone apps all have 1-star reviews, so was just curious if those apps have any bearing on the main core service they offer, ie being alerted to a car theft,

Does anyone have any experience in any of the above trackers and what their experience has been, good and bad?

Thanks.

SpokenHands

Re: Tracker for Velar

Post by SpokenHands » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:59 pm

I picked a CAT5 tracker over the CAT6 tracker because it offers more functionality and a more reassuring investment.

At the advice of the JLR dealership (interestingly over their own dealer-fit tracker); I had the latest SmartTrack Pro from Global Telemetrics and it has been an excellent service. There have been a dozen plus instances where the tracker fob has either not been in the moving car (or was not picked up being buried in my wife's handbag) and within minutes we get a call from GT to investigate. They are very professional and the £190 annual subscription fee is excellent value.

Reduces your insurance premium too.
2018 D300 Range Rover Velar First Edition
2018 AMG GT-C Coupe
2013 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe

BootneckShuffle

Post by BootneckShuffle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Is the tracking facility within the app not technically a tracker?

MajorSqueeze

Post by MajorSqueeze » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:55 pm

The Land Rover remote app does indeed have journey tracking. But any 24-hour monitoring of the vehicle moving without authorisation is a separate subscription service to either an LR added extra or a third party device like the ones I'm looking at.

BootneckShuffle

Post by BootneckShuffle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Majorsqueeze, yeh I’ve got the premium version and that has live tracking of the vehicle, it’s very good to be honest

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 am

There's a bit of a difference between live-tracking a vehicle on an app and a Cat 5 response.

- Global Telemetrics liaises with the Police to track and retrieve the vehicle for you
- The tracking capability is also available when the car is inside a shipping container - this is a blackspot for most other tracking apps.
- The LR cat 6 tracking service, even subscription based, does not offer any retrieval service
2018 D300 Range Rover Velar First Edition
2018 AMG GT-C Coupe
2013 BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe

BootneckShuffle

Post by BootneckShuffle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Spokenhands, but in terms of insurance surely still a discountable factor right?

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”