Apple Car without InControl Apps/Wifi

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
liben96

Re: Apple Car without InControl Apps/Wifi

Post by liben96 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 am

Simonh wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Understood. As InControl Apps is an app mirroring solution (a poorly supported one at that) like CarPlay and Android Auto, maybe there is something more fundamental that's needed than just a software update ? Dunno, but I do agree its pretty poor on JLR's part to not even answer the full reasoning why.
Exactly. In a 80k euros car... this is not normal. Thats why we need to do something, as i know there are many here in this forum affected with the same issue. In just trying to find a solution... in JLR or with a thidparty company....

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:12 pm

Don't expect JLR to make any changes to their policy though.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 (1st Range Rover and my 10th LR now)
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 am

Fenton wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am
As a soon-to-order customer I'm really confused.

Are all these features heavily market-area controlled? From geniuloci I read "..but the new ones don't have it either."

I've just tried the 'Build' on the Landrover (UK) website. Base Velar upwards (in the Summary section) it says it has the Smartphone pack.

If you can be bothered to wrestle with the Website you may find: " the Smartphone Pack helps you stay safely connected to your smartphone even while in the vehicle. Applications include both Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®."

I couldn't see any 'InControl' option/feature listed. Maybe I need Specsavers but when I bought my Evoque 3 years ago it seemed a lot easier. And the audio doesn't crackle!

Then from (US Published 2018):
https://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/2018/12/whats-new-land-rover-2019-2020-model-year-highlights
I read: "New Smartphone Pack with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ available as a no cost option"
No cost option... does that mean you have to remember to tick a box somewhere?

Then regarding InControl (albeit for RRS2020 but things can filter down):
https://www.ovalnews.com/2019/04/official-2020-range-rover-sport-updates-finally-kill-incontrol-apps-bring-new-p525-rip-supercharged.html
"Smartphone Pack
Now standard equipment on all Range Rover Sport models. Because of this standardization we have decided to discontinue and remove the InControl Apps from the system."

All in all if I placed an order today I really don't know what I'd get or whether I'd missed ticking a box.
And when it becomes a used vehicle well it sounds like guesswork.
I surrender :)
In UK you should have it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so.
In Bulgaria it is still not available. Which is infuriating since there is InControl section on the website and may be some other models (not Velars) have it. I'm returning from a trip to Italy (even now I'm on the ferry yo Greece) and Google Maps and Waze are so much better navigating traffic and new roads than the existing Navigation system...
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte

liben96

Post by liben96 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am

geniusloci wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:19 am
Fenton wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am
As a soon-to-order customer I'm really confused.

Are all these features heavily market-area controlled? From geniuloci I read "..but the new ones don't have it either."

I've just tried the 'Build' on the Landrover (UK) website. Base Velar upwards (in the Summary section) it says it has the Smartphone pack.

If you can be bothered to wrestle with the Website you may find: " the Smartphone Pack helps you stay safely connected to your smartphone even while in the vehicle. Applications include both Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®."

I couldn't see any 'InControl' option/feature listed. Maybe I need Specsavers but when I bought my Evoque 3 years ago it seemed a lot easier. And the audio doesn't crackle!

Then from (US Published 2018):
https://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/2018/12/whats-new-land-rover-2019-2020-model-year-highlights
I read: "New Smartphone Pack with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ available as a no cost option"
No cost option... does that mean you have to remember to tick a box somewhere?

Then regarding InControl (albeit for RRS2020 but things can filter down):
https://www.ovalnews.com/2019/04/official-2020-range-rover-sport-updates-finally-kill-incontrol-apps-bring-new-p525-rip-supercharged.html
"Smartphone Pack
Now standard equipment on all Range Rover Sport models. Because of this standardization we have decided to discontinue and remove the InControl Apps from the system."

All in all if I placed an order today I really don't know what I'd get or whether I'd missed ticking a box.
And when it becomes a used vehicle well it sounds like guesswork.
I surrender :)
In UK you should have it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so.
In Bulgaria it is still not available. Which is infuriating since there is InControl section on the website and may be some other models (not Velars) have it. I'm returning from a trip to Italy (even now I'm on the ferry yo Greece) and Google Maps and Waze are so much better navigating traffic and new roads than the existing Navigation system...
Im in Gibraltar.
inControl Apps is not available... and thats why they say they cant install Apple Car (Smartphone Pack)

Are you based in Bulgaria? So, you dont have inControlApps, but you have AppleCar?

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm

liben96 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am

Im in Gibraltar.
inControl Apps is not available... and thats why they say they cant install Apple Car (Smartphone Pack)

Are you based in Bulgaria? So, you dont have inControlApps, but you have AppleCar?
Neither.
I bought used First Edition Velar from the dealership (couldn't resist it). Quoting from memory "we still don't offer any if these for Velar, may be there is going to be upgrade option when we start offering new velars with enabled options".

Problem is my car doesn't have SIM card slot,no WiFi, conectivity whatsoever , only couple of USBs. And afaik I can't just buy some console and install it in olace of mine.

I love the car apart from minor issues (and bad first owner, IMO he half ruined the matte paint), but hell, 120k euro build and no connectivity is frustrating.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte

liben96

Post by liben96 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:04 pm

geniusloci wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm
liben96 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am

Im in Gibraltar.

Neither.
I bought used First Edition Velar from the dealership (couldn't resist it). Quoting from memory "we still don't offer any if these for Velar, may be there is going to be upgrade option when we start offering new velars with enabled options".

Problem is my car doesn't have SIM card slot,no WiFi, conectivity whatsoever , only couple of USBs. And afaik I can't just buy some console and install it in olace of mine.

I love the car apart from minor issues (and bad first owner, IMO he half ruined the matte paint), but hell, 120k euro build and no connectivity is frustrating.
I agree. I have the same, only couple of USBs, but I think that is enough. We need to do something... until they install it or try to find another solution.

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”