Electronic handbrake

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Anil12

Electronic handbrake

Post by Anil12 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi sorry again if this sounds daft, but on my X5 my electronic handbrake came on automatically when stopped, in Drive, then off again when touched the pedal; is this available on the Velar?

rstratfo

Re: Electronic handbrake

Post by rstratfo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Not at the current time. You have to press the button.. There is talk of software change to enable something similar.

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 pm

The new evoque has this.
Current R-Dynamic D180 S with a few extras successfully rejected.

On order:
D275 R-Dynamic HSE, Firenze Red, Heated Steering Wheel (a must after missing it out on the old car) Dynamic Pack, Black Roof, Privacy Glass.

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:17 pm

I hope that has an permanent off button, it would be maddening otherwise. EB comes only when turning of the car or manually on the Velar.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 pm

The electronic park brake in the Velar is rather primitive on the Velar compared to similar ages or even older BMWs!
I find it rather worrying that the Velar disengages the park brake when I put it in to 'drive' before any throttle input. This is dangerous as the car can start moving especially when on a incline which rather defeats the purpose of a parking brake!
The Auto hold feature on BMWs is great. The parking brake auto engages when vehicle comes to a complete halt and the auto start stop also kicks in if the pre-determined conditions are met. This means that I don't have to keep my foot on the brake pedal while I am waiting at the traffic lights. The electronic park brakes is on ensuring that the car doesn't move and I am not polluting the environment when I didn't need to! And it waits for driver input on the throttle before it starts the engine and disengages the parking break. So very convenient.
Land Rover... please, please, please get a software update for the parking brake. All the necessary hardware is already there in the car, this should be definitely doable with a software upgrade.
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm

To put the car in Drive you have to be pressing the brake peddle (thus holding the car). Not quite understanding what the issue is. Never have I felt unsafe. If you want to hold the car with no peddle use, flick it to Park. The park brake engages. Then you have to press the brake peddle to move from Park to Drive. The car stays put as your foot is on the brake.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 (1st Range Rover and my 10th LR now)
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:51 am

Simonh wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm
To put the car in Drive you have to be pressing the brake peddle (thus holding the car). Not quite understanding what the issue is. Never have I felt unsafe. If you want to hold the car with no peddle use, flick it to Park. The park brake engages. Then you have to press the brake peddle to move from Park to Drive. The car stays put as your foot is on the brake.
Agree, fail to see what’s unsafe. Never had an issue personally.
Current R-Dynamic D180 S with a few extras successfully rejected.

On order:
D275 R-Dynamic HSE, Firenze Red, Heated Steering Wheel (a must after missing it out on the old car) Dynamic Pack, Black Roof, Privacy Glass.

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:54 am

Same here, it's engaged in Park, how it would be unsafe in Drive, when it is supposed to be disengaged?
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Guys, thanks for the replies here.
There is not much of a safety issue if one is parked in level ground and the parking brake is released when the transmission is shifted to drive from Neutral or Park. It is unlikely that the car will roll in the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.
However, if you are parked on an incline, the car could start rolling when you lift your foot off the brake pedal and before you press the accelerator, and this is a safety issue. In BMWs with automatic transmission, the brake is released only when one presses the accelerator pedal, and this is safer in comparison. .
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:41 pm

I miss this feature from my old car (Audi) as well. Now I turn the auto stop/start off every time I get in the car (yes a faff but it annoys me anyway) and this means the hill hold assist works (stops the Velar rolling back for about 3 secs).

I do think this is an issue JLR need to address. Day 1 when I got the car someone stopped really close behind me on a hill and fortunately through this forum I knew the switch the stop/start off otherwise I’d have rolled back into them.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Return to “Faults & Technical”