Electronic handbrake

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Pfalder

Re: Electronic handbrake

Post by Pfalder » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:18 pm

I agree, my first very slight hill start at traffic lights caught me out in the Velar because the car rolled back. My previous Jaguar XFS never did that, it was as solid as a rock on inclines when the foot was taken off the brake.
Range Rover Velar D300 R Dynamic HSE - Byron Blue - ebony - black pack

andybanks

Post by andybanks » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Pfalder wrote:I agree, my first very slight hill start at traffic lights caught me out in the Velar because the car rolled back. My previous Jaguar XFS never did that, it was as solid as a rock on inclines when the foot was taken off the brake.
This is because of a known fault on the hill hold assist. JLR know it exists but don't have a fix.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

geniusloci

Post by geniusloci » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:19 pm

GSudhir wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:23 pm
Guys, thanks for the replies here.
There is not much of a safety issue if one is parked in level ground and the parking brake is released when the transmission is shifted to drive from Neutral or Park. It is unlikely that the car will roll in the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.
However, if you are parked on an incline, the car could start rolling when you lift your foot off the brake pedal and before you press the accelerator, and this is a safety issue. In BMWs with automatic transmission, the brake is released only when one presses the accelerator pedal, and this is safer in comparison. .
Does it do this just on start when you go from P to D, or any time you stop completely and engage parking brake? IMO it will be weird, the car rolls slowly when I stop pressing the brakes, it's been like this on every car with automatic transmission I've ever driven. If the incline is steeper, it doesn't release the brake anyway.
ImageFirst Edition D300 HSE in Silver Flux Matte, Cete Automotive Active Sound, Pirelli Scorpion All Season tyres

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:50 pm

geniusloci wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:19 pm
GSudhir wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:23 pm
Guys, thanks for the replies here.
There is not much of a safety issue if one is parked in level ground and the parking brake is released when the transmission is shifted to drive from Neutral or Park. It is unlikely that the car will roll in the time you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal.
However, if you are parked on an incline, the car could start rolling when you lift your foot off the brake pedal and before you press the accelerator, and this is a safety issue. In BMWs with automatic transmission, the brake is released only when one presses the accelerator pedal, and this is safer in comparison. .
Does it do this just on start when you go from P to D, or any time you stop completely and engage parking brake? IMO it will be weird, the car rolls slowly when I stop pressing the brakes, it's been like this on every car with automatic transmission I've ever driven. If the incline is steeper, it doesn't release the brake anyway.
It disengages when the park brake when you shift from P to D.
Once you manually engage the parking brake, it only releases the parking brake on touching the accelerator, which is how it should be all the time for it to be safe!
The other interesting bit is that that the engine shuts off (when the start-stop function is active) only when I have the foot on the brake pedal. And when the brake pedal is released, the engine kicks back to life.!!!! As the parking brake doesn't come on automatically, once you reach a traffic light and stop, you either have to keep your foot on the brake pedal or manually engage the parking brake.
I would like the parking brake to automatically engage when the car has come to a complete halt and the engine shut off when I am waiting at traffic lights. And then the parking brake to release only when I press the accelerator and after the engine kicks in. As the accelerator pedal is pressed the transmission is engaged and the parking brake is only released after this, therefore, there is no risk of the car rolling back.
It may sound as though this would be take time for the engine to kick in and then release the parking brake and then the car to make a more forward.. but believe me all these happen very quickly in BMWs and Audis.
Hope JLR makes the necessary changes in software to have this feature on Velars!
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats

CHINDIT

Post by CHINDIT » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:25 am

I have a D240 HSE MY20 which I took delivery of just over a week ago. Having read this thread, I took the Velar to a steepish hill yesterday to test this safely without traffic behind. I drove part way up the hill and stopped with my foot on the foot break. The auto stop start stopped the engine and I kept my foot on the foot break. I then released the foot break and the engine started with the hill start control stopping the vehicle running backwards whilst I transferred my foot to the accelerator and the car pulled away. I was unable to replicate the problem that other posters have raised.
Range Rover Velar D240 R Dynamic HSE - Indus Silver - Ebony - Privacy Glass - 21" 5 Spoke Gloss Sparkle Alloys

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 am

I think it depends on the steepness of the slope. Mine seems to roll back (literally a minute amount) slightly on shallow slopes but holds on steeper slopes.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 (1st Range Rover and my 10th LR now)
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Simonh wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:43 am
I think it depends on the steepness of the slope. Mine seems to roll back (literally a minute amount) slightly on shallow slopes but holds on steeper slopes.
I think this is correct for most owners, the movement of the car is only on shallow slopes. I have this happen at a light controlled roundabout near where I live, the slip road from the dual carriageway on to the the roundabout has a very shallow upward slope. On gently pulling away, I.e. slowly moving my foot between pedals, the car can slide backwards about 6-10 inches at a guess. I have become practised at rocking the steering wheel as the lights change from red to amber to start the engine in readiness to pull away.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Return to “Faults & Technical”