Fumes Entering Car

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
CHINDIT

Fumes Entering Car

Post by CHINDIT » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 pm

My Velar 240D R Dynamic HSE is just over a month old and I have now driven a little over 1,500 miles. From the outset, I occasionally noticed an occasional smell in the cabin when stationary or in traffic. Initially I thought it was just the smell you get from a new engine during the first few hundred miles. When it continued intermittently I thought it was other vehicles exhausts being sucked in through the ventilation system. Then on Tuesday I noticed it happen when no other vehicles were in the vicinity. The fumes were quite strong and left a nasty taste on the tongue.

On Wednesday morning I phoned my local dealer to book it in to get it checked out. As it was a fume issue and could be injurious to health, they told me not to drive the vehicle and that they would despatch a technician to my house to arrive within two hours to investigate the problem. Within two hours a helpful technician arrived and opened the bonnet and removed the plastic engine cover. He said that there was a known issue with a gasket that can leak. He then explained that he was going to remove a small bolt and that if the bottom of the bolt was black, there was a problem. He found it was black but not as bad as he had seen on some other vehicles. He then said the vehicle could not be driven and that it would be collected by a recovery truck and taken to “grey box” for further diagnosis and repair. A taxi promptly arrived to take me to JLR Lookers West London to collect a courtesy vehicle - an Evoque. Early on Thursday morning my Velar was collected by a recovery truck and taken to “grey box” for further investigation and I now await details of what they find / propose..

Wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar fume problem?

I have also noticed that after a long motorway type run, the D240 engine become quite rough and noisy when moving onto slower winding roads. If starting from scratch on slower winding roads this does not happen and the engine seems pretty smooth with the twin turbos whining in the background.

JLR have been pretty impressive regarding the Velar fume Issue so far - the only hiccup being the Evoques front left tyre losing about 3 or 4 psi per day. The low tyre pressure indicator was on when I collected the vehicle so they took it away and checked it out before I left the dealership. On Friday the low tyre pressure was back on when I happened to be passing Guy Salmon Thames Ditton. They kept me waiting 3 hours whilst checking the tyre only and sending me on my way only for the pressure to be down again by the evening and a drive to Portsmouth and Bristol. On Saturday morning I received a courtesy call from Land Rover Recovery (the helpful lady said she was an AA employee) who asked me to take the Evoque to Guy Salmon Jaguar Bristol where it was promptly swapped for a Disco Sport. Problem seemed to be that the loss of tyre pressure was so slow that the technicians never found the location of the leak at either Lookers West London or Guy Salmon Thames Ditton. The Disco Sport seemed problem free on a trip to Wales today so should keep me mobile until the Velar returns.
Range Rover Velar D240 R Dynamic HSE - Indus Silver - Ebony - Privacy Glass - 21" 5 Spoke Gloss Sparkle Alloys

CHINDIT

Re: Fumes Entering Car

Post by CHINDIT » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:27 am

After almost two weeks, I received a call from Lookers West LONDON to say they could not find a “burning smell” and were returning car to me. I pointed out there had never been a burning smell and that the car was sent in due to fumes entering the cabin. I was then told they had carried out the wrong tests and had checked for burning smell and needed to keep the car for further different tests for fumes. It is now 22 days since this saga started.......
Range Rover Velar D240 R Dynamic HSE - Indus Silver - Ebony - Privacy Glass - 21" 5 Spoke Gloss Sparkle Alloys

CHINDIT

Post by CHINDIT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:39 am

Well Christmas Day will be my 80th day of Velar ownership.......and 39th day without the car whilst Lookers West London try to find where the exhaust fumes are leaking into the cabin. They initially returned it earlier in December having failed to fin the problem. After a trip to the West Country and back with periods of strong fumes, the car went back to Lookers again last week. Given it seems unlikely I will get my car back before some time in January I am heading towards the car having been out of action for more time than it has been on the road. The only saving grace is that this time I been given a Range Rover Autobiography as a courtesy car which is a beautiful car to drive and seems completely fume free!

The Velar fumes do not smell strong on the open road although after being in the car on a motorway for an hour or so there is a noticeable nasty taste on the tongue and eyes start to sting. It was bad enough that I had to pull off the motorway at Swindon for a breath of fresh air whilst on route from London to Bristol a couple of weeks ago. The fumes are generally worst when pulling to a halt at a junction or traffic lights when a sudden waft can permeate the vehicle. Given that this still happens when there is no traffic around the fumes must be emanating from my engine. The recirculation mode on the a/c mode on the seems to make no improvement.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

If not sorted by early January I’m going to have to start the rejection process which is a shame as I love the car.......other than the fumes.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Not experienced myself but others here (you’ll have to use search) have had issues with the exhaust manifold box coming away and recirculating fumes into the car. Have Lookers checked that ? There must be only only a few ways the fumes can enter the car surely? The path for exhaust fumes is I assume well defined and documented in the LR technical info !

I’d certainly look to reject for a like for like car considering the time you’ve actually been able to drive it. Or maybe look for another dealer as this should not be taking this long to fix !!

I wish you luck !
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:25 pm

With JLR dealers I have discovered that you need to walk them through the issue, if possible get in the car with a tech and make sure they can see it replicated
When I had my side mirror camera replaced, despite a detailed written explanation that it was the left side camera in 360, the clowns phoned me 24hrs later to say they couldn’t see a problem as they had ‘investigated’ by putting in reverse and the reverse camera was fine!

RRTAN

Post by RRTAN » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I had a similar problem on my F-Pace; when I put it into reverse and moved off my drive I could smell the same. The dealers were adamant that this was normal given the fact I was reversing into the exhaust fumes (despite no other car I have ever owned had the same problem) until, at my insistence, they put it up on a ramp and found there was a problem with the exhaust manifold. It was fixed under warranty and the problem didn’t repeat.

As others have said, get a qualified Technician to talk to and you should have it resolved. The last thing Engineers like is a problem they can’t solve!!
MY19 D300 HSE R-Dynamic, Aruba, Oyster, Sliding Panoramic, Heated everything, Privacy Glass, Tracker, (Cup Holder Cover!)

CHINDIT

Post by CHINDIT » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm

On the 98th Day of ownership, I finally got my Velar back today. Over two periods, she had been "off road" at Lookers for 55 of the 98 days.....and this isn't the type of "off road" that Range Rovers are meant to be renowned for. Finally I had managed to actually speak to a technician who was interested in the problem and listened to my explanation of the conditions in which the fume problem would occur. Having not found any exhaust leaks they identified a problem with software for the entire ventilation and air intake system which was apparently several versions out of date and out of sync for a MY20 car with the latest modificaitons to the system. Therefore it was not correctly opening and closing the right valves at the appropriate time and sucking in fumes which also explains why the air recirculation button had not been alleviating the fume problem. They have now installed the software updates and a senior technicial, with my consent, drove the car to his home and back covering over 70 miles without fumes entering the vehicle. I have now driven the car into central London seemingly without fumes. It does beg the question why the original dealer, Inchape of Guildford, had not checked that the correct software was installed at the time of the pre-delivery inspection. Fingers crossed the problem is now fixed and I can finally start to enjoy my Velar!

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:05 pm

At least it’s sorted but you’d think that would be a checklist procedure before it left the factory and/or the PDI! I hope the dealer or JLR compensate you!
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:31 pm

CHINDIT wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm
On the 98th Day of ownership, I finally got my Velar back today. Over two periods, she had been "off road" at Lookers for 55 of the 98 days.....and this isn't the type of "off road" that Range Rovers are meant to be renowned for. Finally I had managed to actually speak to a technician who was interested in the problem and listened to my explanation of the conditions in which the fume problem would occur. Having not found any exhaust leaks they identified a problem with software for the entire ventilation and air intake system which was apparently several versions out of date and out of sync for a MY20 car with the latest modificaitons to the system. Therefore it was not correctly opening and closing the right valves at the appropriate time and sucking in fumes which also explains why the air recirculation button had not been alleviating the fume problem. They have now installed the software updates and a senior technicial, with my consent, drove the car to his home and back covering over 70 miles without fumes entering the vehicle. I have now driven the car into central London seemingly without fumes. It does beg the question why the original dealer, Inchape of Guildford, had not checked that the correct software was installed at the time of the pre-delivery inspection. Fingers crossed the problem is now fixed and I can finally start to enjoy my Velar!
Thanks for sharing this from the beginning to the end, hopefully. It helps others when they have similar issues. The forum, and others before it when we owned a Volvo, have been so helpful. When owners, technicians and dealers work collaboratively it often delivers a better, faster and easier outcome for all parties. It’s such a shame when dealer staff still behave as if it is pre-internet social media era. This crowd sourced intelligence might not always be the ‘silver bullet’ for every problem but it is helpful as part of the process of isolating the issue.

Let’s hope you can enjoy your Velar now. They’re lovely cars.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

kangaman

Post by kangaman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Thank you all for this - I think I have the same problem - I did pass it off to new engine...then regen PDF but it really came to a head when fumes were so bad I had to open all windows.....seriously I think this is a health issue let alone a manufactory glitch!
(69) D300 HSE / R Dynamic Black Pack / Eiger Grey with black contrast roof & black gloss 9007 22" Alloys / Fixed Pano roof / Priv Glass / 360 camera / Heated Steering Wheel & the normal HSE goodies!