Starting to Get Really Disappointed

Forum for Land Rover Customer Relations
AngeM

Starting to Get Really Disappointed

Post by AngeM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 pm

I am new to this Forum so hi everyone, I have already found it really useful so far, especially when we had a knocking sound from the boot, which we solved on here. My husband loved the velar so finally we bought one, D300 HSE. It was 18 months old, 8K miles, had been a LR car, and bought from a main dealer. We've had it 2 months. So far it's been back four times. Rattling headlining, noticed on first drive from garage after we bought it. Terrible ride despite Air Suspension, tyres had been set at 43psi, not 34. Had all suspension checked because passenger rear side crashes and doesn't ride out the road. Knocking in boot - tailgate had to be realigned. Latest is the rear door handle cover missing - is being fixed but I really don't expect things to drop off! Also we can't work out what the situation is with sim cards and live traffic info, which we can't get. Our salesman says second hand cars don't come with a sim card and that we basically need to go to our phone provider and get one - surely this can't be the case? I asked at the time if the car came with its own sim and he said it did, now he's backtracking. We assume this means that without it we can't get SOS emergency call etc. Does anyone know how the sim / live traffic things works? thanks

Haybrd

Re: Starting to Get Really Disappointed

Post by Haybrd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Welcome! Sounds like you’ve not had the best experiences so far! Hopefully things improve!

So LR assist and SOS should still work I believe as there is a “built in SIM” that handles this (someone might want to confirm this). This might be what the dealer is referring too.

In terms of whether you get a free SIM with a 2nd hand Velar I guess this is down to dealer discretion. You could try and push for one given the issues you’ve had, alternatively just buy a data only SIM (like this: Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 24 GB Data SIM and pop it in the slot under the arm rest. That will run the live data features, hotspot, etc. Not sure if the live traffic would work though as this might be a subscription service? (Can someone confirm?)
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

AngeM

Post by AngeM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:45 pm

thanks for the advice regarding the simm, they are picking the car up tomorrow to sort out the door handle problem but I really need to get the live traffic sorted out so will ask the dealer again. With Audi, BMW and Mercedes you usually get the live traffic etc free within your first 3 years warranty, after that you pay a subscription, I thought this would be the same. I feel the dealer is claiming they 'don't know' when really they should. It's been pretty depressing so far, I hope it improves.

Pfalder

Post by Pfalder » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:26 pm

I was supplied with a sim with my used Velar in September. A third party one will work fine though. For traffic alerts etc I assume you need the in control apps Pro subscription, the provided you have the accounts set up (which needs sim) fot Incontrol and the navigation login, it should work.
Range Rover Velar D300 R Dynamic HSE - Byron Blue - ebony - black pack

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 am

Just buy a SIM card, you can get one for less than £40 for the entire year
Then log into your incontrol account online, call JLR customer services, the dealers are normally clueless clowns
Yes they should have given you one, but the lack of a £40 SIM card isn’t something you should be depressed about after spending £50K+ on a car

Milky400

Post by Milky400 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 am

The three sim is 24gb over 24 months for £40.

The one supplied in new vehicles is hugely expensive so I’ve binned it.
D275 R-Dynamic HSE, Firenze Red, Heated Steering Wheel (a must after missing it out on the old car) Dynamic Pack, Black Roof, Privacy Glass.

Previous R-Dynamic D180 S with a few extras successfully rejected

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:33 am

My ex LR car came with the included SIM. As others have said a third party data SIM will work fine. Just make sure it’s activated first or it won’t work.

There is indeed an embedded SIM for the SOS and LR Assist system.

Pro Services are needed for live traffic via the data SIM so that’s worth checking if it came with the car originally. As an HSE it will have this as standard though.

If you set up a free account on TOPIx (as an independent trader) you can find out everything the car was specified with at manufacture.

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com
Velar HSE D240 - MY19 (1st Range Rover and my 10th LR now)
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

MikeJL

Post by MikeJL » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 pm

FWIW 18 MY cars didn't come with a SIM, it was something LR added later.

JLR like to do things differently, so fit their cars with two SIMS, one embedded, one you add yourself.
The embedded SIM provides SOS & breakdown calls & data for the remote App. Your SIM provides everything else (traffic date, satellite views, hotspot, etc).

Traffic data comes with the maps subscription, included for 3 years from new.
The embedded SIM also requires a subscription for remote services, also free for 3 years. I imagine the emergency call would continue to work without a subscription, but don't know.

This is for UK, other markets may be different.
D240 HSE 18MY. Firenze Red, Eclipse Interior, Panoramic Roof, Air Suspension
20 way electric seats with 14 way memory :-(
Software Version: 19B 19.4.4 436082

Return to “Land Rover Customer Relations”