Snow chains

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
IckleMoi

Snow chains

Post by IckleMoi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:42 pm

Hi. I’m looking for recommendations for snow chains as we’re heading skiing in February. Tyre profile is 2550/50 R20’s. Alternatively if there’s anyone local to Brentwood, Essex with a suitable set that they’d lend/rent me, please let me know! Thanks.

markah

Re: Snow chains

Post by markah » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Renting / borrowing is a great idea.

Plenty available on ebay. I have bought the snow socks and the Polaire grip easy fit type for my old BMW xdrive before from Roofbox.co.uk.

My car came a with mud and snow (M+S) tyres. So I just bought some snow socks for it last year.
'18 D300 RDS, Corris, Black pack, Glossy 21" black rims, Black & pan roof.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Last year I went to rent some with a hire car in Europe and was told by the guy at the hire car desk to buy some on the way at a petrol station as they would be cheaper. They were way cheaper but they did fall apart by the end of the week. We then switched to snow socks and they worked just as well.

I’d never used either before that and would certainly use snow socks again unless I was going regularly then I’d buy a decent set of chains to prevent them falling apart.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

GSudhir

Post by GSudhir » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Have you considered winter tyres.
On my previous BM, I had a set of winter wheels which I used to swap out towards late autumn and go back to summer wheels in early spring.
BMWs being RWD cars are pathetic in the snow with regular tyres. However, winter tyres make a huge difference, they just drive on snow with ease. The other advantage is that one doesn't have to get out in the cold putting the snow chains to the snow socks on.
Winter tyres worked great for me in the odd British winter snowfalls. I haven't driven anywhere on the Alps or near any skislopes. Therefore no first hand experience of driving there. However I have been driven in Northern Norway in winter on several occasions with cars on winter tyres and they offered very good traction.
I suggest winter tyres are worth looking in to.
D300 R Dynamic HSE in Corris Grey with 1033 21 inch alloys
Pano sun roof
Configurable ambient lighting
360 camera
Windsor perforated leather- heated, cooled massage seats

Ludo

Post by Ludo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:27 pm

note that conventional chains can not be mounted on front wheels, only on rear wheels due to some metallic brackets behind the front wheel, that are very close to the tire. some new models can be adapted from the front of the wheels but the are take a lot os space in your boot and are pretty expensive .

personnaly I just have 1 pair of old style chains that I never had to use (just in cas). I trust my all season tires (michelin latitude) together with the snow or sand mode combined with :
- turning off the DSC (dynamic stability control) : a must do : to avoid the car to automatically brake, which can be very dangerous on ice
- turning ON the HDC (descent control) : a MUST when going down to maintain a reasonnable and controlled speed

with these, I never had problems and I do drive on pretty snowy / fully iced paths in the south french alps
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY18 Velar D180 R-Dyn S, Corris, Black sliding pano roof, 20'' black rims, Black leather, Teinted glass. delivered oct. 2
2014 Freelander 2 D160 HSE

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Just back from Austria, two weeks skiing.

For pics of the snowy conditions, details of the options for snow-chains and winter tyres - read just the first page of the thread.

For a full review of our car across the whole two weeks, in snow with temperatures as low as -11 Celsius, continue reading the whole thread.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3038

BTW, the earlier post about snow chains not being suitable sounds correct. I think only the smaller wheel sizes can take the small link chains. You will need to be careful. I have 21” rims which is why I chose the spider spikes from Roofbox’ online store.

Hope it helps, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”