Yet another MPG post

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Arianne

Re: Yet another MPG post

Post by Arianne » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:33 pm

HarryR wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:46 pm
Arianne wrote:And frankly, if the Velar had front facing missiles then I would gladly have locked one on the Micra about six cars up the convoy on the A1.
[emoji23] I always used to wonder why Micra drivers were so unnecessarily slow. Then once I was given one as a courtesy car when mine was being repaired and realised why. Absolutely no balls!
We have a theory in our family. We discuss this theory with increasing frustration while actually sitting behind Micra’s and Honda Jazz’. Here it is:

We think that, when you’re actually in the Micra, driving at about 45mph on a fast country road feels......... very, very fast. Handling, road noise, wind noise, engine noise, gearbox noise - it all adds up. And finally, the whole monocoque shell around you is flexing with the twists, turns and bumps in the road!

Taken together, you’re not going to push your luck are you? Then, as you peer out, you see folk overtake you. You can’t believe it. You are at the absolute limit for the conditions. How can others be pushing beyond the safe limit, especially those idiots in their Range Rovers (anyone not in a Range Rover hates Range Rover drivers, whatever model they’re in).

I have often thought how cosseted we all are in Velars and how detached we are from the outside world and conditions, especially when the weather is foul. In all seriousness, it makes me think that I need to be more mindful of aquaplaning etc.

@Pat27, nice post. Good result. Me thinks...... D300 wins!!! :D

I wonder if we should have a short competition to see who can achieve the most amazing fuel economy figure? By category, otherwise the SVA V8 elite will never win anything other than the 0-62mph sprint award! Would need to be accompanied by a screen shot from the App as evidence and the journey would need to be a minimum of, say 25 miles to prevent me choosing to record the trip from Soutra Summit on the A68 down to the Central Borders!

Best wishes, Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm

Perfect assessment of a Micra driver I reckon. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21 pm

My sig on a VW forum is: The VW Thing, making 45 MPH exciting again.
2019 Range Rover Velar HSE P380 ("Posh")
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE FE ("Greebo")

BootneckShuffle

Post by BootneckShuffle » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Big thanks to everyone who has commented and shared their figures

Personally, I’m not sure what to do moving forward, I’m lost off with it, have been using Costco premium diesel for every fill, may change to V Power to see if that makes any odds, probably not. I wouldn’t mind if the car had not really changed much in fuel economy since the start but I was getting 400 per tank round the doors, same journeys as we do now. 9 months down the line, now 300-330 if I’m lucky.

What’s people’s thoughts on running the AC in the car? I spoke to the LR Tech and he said you’d see next to no drop in MPG with AC on, maybe up to 10% max.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:08 pm

BootneckShuffle wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 pm
Big thanks to everyone who has commented and shared their figures

Personally, I’m not sure what to do moving forward, I’m lost off with it, have been using Costco premium diesel for every fill, may change to V Power to see if that makes any odds, probably not. I wouldn’t mind if the car had not really changed much in fuel economy since the start but I was getting 400 per tank round the doors, same journeys as we do now. 9 months down the line, now 300-330 if I’m lucky.

What’s people’s thoughts on running the AC in the car? I spoke to the LR Tech and he said you’d see next to no drop in MPG with AC on, maybe up to 10% max.
I always have the AC (same on all my cars in the past) on so can’t compare. It would have a saving I’m sure but I’d think up to 10% would be a good guess.

One thing I did start to think about your predicament is the way the Velar learns your driving style. I wondered if as it’s learnt how you like to drive it’s giving more fuel into the system to meet the perceived need. If nothing else has changed then other than the engine bedding in (which in my experiences improves efficiency) I can’t think of anything else. Thoughts anyone?
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 pm

My daily commute. Lol. Love London traffic. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tspdavey

Post by tspdavey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 pm

tspdavey wrote:My daily commute. Lol. Love London traffic. Image

P300

MITO

Post by MITO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:00 am

My record is the ~70mpg I achieved last summer driving down from the summit of a local mountain (3500 ft) to my house at sea level in the valley - a distance of around 20 miles but a drive that took about 1 hour due to winding roads. I would post a screenshot for proof but the app journey history doesn't go back far enough. This is with a P250.

(I'll conveniently ignore the mid teens economy I got driving up! Carry on...).

On a more serious note, I can routinely achieve 30-32 mpg with careful freeway driving with cruise control set to around 70mph. This is using US gallons of course.

HarryR

Post by HarryR » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:31 pm

MITO wrote:I can routinely achieve 30-32 mpg with careful freeway driving with cruise control set to around 70mph. This is using US gallons of course.
That’s around 37/38mpg (imperial gallons).

Way better than I’m getting with my P250.

MITO

Post by MITO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 pm

HarryR wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:31 pm
MITO wrote:I can routinely achieve 30-32 mpg with careful freeway driving with cruise control set to around 70mph. This is using US gallons of course.
That’s around 37/38mpg (imperial gallons).

Way better than I’m getting with my P250.
You are now making me wonder whether the LR app and in car mpg computer uses imperial rather than us gallons regardless of where the car is being driven...?