Shudder under acceleration

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
Haybrd

Shudder under acceleration

Post by Haybrd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:59 am

So at least twice now I’ve been doing 60-65mph on a dual carriageway or motorway when I’ve had the need to quickly overtake. As I’ve pressed the accelerator (gas pedal) hard the car has shuddered almost like I’ve gone over rumble strips in the road. Any ideas on what could be causing it.

Velar is D240, in Comfort mode and in Drive not Sport. Lane assist turned off.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

HarryR

Re: Shudder under acceleration

Post by HarryR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:23 am

I think this a lane departure warning which operates independently of the lane keep assist function. If you cross over the lane marker without a corresponding indicator it will warn you.

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:16 am

The first time it happened I thought that but I’ve got that turned off (no orange light on the steering wheel or lane lights on the drivers display). I was also indicating which should disable it.

The feeling is like that though but more severe. I did wonder if it was the speed limiter or something but I think I have that turned off.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

RobG

Post by RobG » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

Coinidently might be wheel balancing at that certain speed causing this?

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm

RobG wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm
Coinidently might be wheel balancing at that certain speed causing this?
Would you expect this all the time or just when the wheel hits a certain frequency?

pfinney

Post by pfinney » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:00 pm

I experienced the same with my D240 Velar SE a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be way more sinister than I thought...

Following testing wheel balance, alignment and turning off lane assist, I took the car into Landrover to be looked at.

Despite being only 10 months old, there had been a major leak going into the turbo. Car requires a new turbo, new gasket and several other parts that I have no idea what they do. Fortunately all covered under warranty.

Be worth getting checked out because in my situation is could have been dangerous!

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:40 pm

pfinney wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:00 pm
I experienced the same with my D240 Velar SE a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be way more sinister than I thought...

Following testing wheel balance, alignment and turning off lane assist, I took the car into Landrover to be looked at.

Despite being only 10 months old, there had been a major leak going into the turbo. Car requires a new turbo, new gasket and several other parts that I have no idea what they do. Fortunately all covered under warranty.

Be worth getting checked out because in my situation is could have been dangerous!
:o Whoa ok! Was it intermittent (like mine) or something more constant?

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:11 pm

This will be either balance shaft bearing problems on the Ingenium engine or a drive line vibration, both known problems on the Velar and the Jaguar F Pace. Our Velar had the balance shaft and bearings replaced after 7000 miles to cure whine and vibration when accelerating.
2017 240 D Dynamic R. Firenze Red with blackpack and black wheels

Return to “Faults & Technical”