Steering Assist No Warning?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
MJS

Steering Assist No Warning?

Post by MJS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi All,

Quick question to anyone with Steering Assist, is it just how the dealership has configured my Velar or is there no warning when the steering assist switches itself off as it loses the road markings?

On the rare occasion the radar cruise stops due to losing radar which has happened once in 5 years (increadibly heavy rain on a busy M40) loud warning alarms went off and notifications on the dash & heads up display.

So I was quite surprised in a health and safety conscious world there was no warning at all when the steering assist fails.

I drive with my hands on the wheel watching the road so noticing the tiny steering wheel symbol bottom right on the dash is no longer green is easy to miss, the only other notification you get is your vehicle starts to head towards the central reservation at 70mph :)
Range Rover Velar HSE 300hp Petrol Red

Simonh

Re: Steering Assist No Warning?

Post by Simonh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:34 pm

Not aware of any warning noises and I always maintain all steering input myself when in radar assisted cruise. Not sure why your car would head towards the central reservation though. Do you normally let it steer between the lines itself and only rest your hand on the wheel?

I’ve never taken the cruise system as a self steering system. Steering Assist as far as I am aware is only a safety system to help steer the car back if it wanders across the line if there is no apparent driver input.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 pm

Steering assist does the steering for you and as long as you are not driving towards low sun is pretty accurate, you still have your hands on the wheel but the car does the work. It is a new feature from 2019 onwards I believe. It is meant to be similar to Tesla's autopilot although it cant change lanes unlike the Tesla

Lane keep assist is the feature that stops you going over the centre line.

Only issue I have with steering assist is that if the sun obscures the camera it switches itself off without telling the driver. There is a symbol that's is about 4mm in size at the bottom right of the instrument panel which is easy to miss when your watching the road so 1 minute the car is driving itself and the next it may not be with no audible warning I am aware.

I wanted to see if anyone on here had steering assist and if there was some form of dealer set configuration that hadn't been setup on my car as to have no warning seems somewhat dangerous and for drivers less observant than myself could cause an accident.
Range Rover Velar HSE 300hp Petrol Red

Haybrd

Post by Haybrd » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:45 pm

I wasn’t aware JLR had anything like the Tesla autopilot system. Mine is MY20 and has Lane Keep Assist which you set to either vibrate if you cross the white lines or “steer”
I.e. Nudge you back into the lane. It in no way is a pilot system though!

With respect to your original query, I get what you mean. There is no audible warning when the system can’t detect the lines. I get this could be helpful but also would be annoying at times. The state of a lot of roads I drive on it can’t recognise a lot of the lines so would be constantly beeping.
MY20 D240 R-Dynamic SE, Santorini Black, 14 way heated, memory seats, Heated/power recline rear, 20” 7 spike gloss black wheels, Electrically deployable towbar, Fixed panoramic roof, Rear seat release , Power pack 2

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm

Not sure why you’d want to have the car steering itself and still have to have your hands on the wheel to take over when it fails. Might as well just steer the car knowing that it’s under your control, white lines or not.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Simonh wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm
Not sure why you’d want to have the car steering itself and still have to have your hands on the wheel to take over when it fails. Might as well just steer the car knowing that it’s under your control, white lines or not.
This is because in the UK it is illegal to use self driving/steering vehicles (possibly with the exception of approved test vehicles) and therefore the system nags you every few minutes if it doesn't have any input from the human. Tesla's do not self drive in the UK as this would be illegal and I believe they were forced to change their advertising to conform.

"All new Tesla cars come standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future—through software updates designed to improve functionality over time." From their UK web site they now say are capable of - but will be available in the future.

I have the steering assist system and if I do not move the steering wheel every so often it nags me with a chime and a big warning on the centre of speedo console screen, simply rocking the steering wheel a tiny tad cancels the warning. When it has failed while I have been using the system (low sun, covered with accumulated snow and when driving through heavy fog) it has chimed and put up a large warning in the centre of the speedo console screen telling the driver to take control.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Simonh

Post by Simonh » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 am

Ah right. Understood.

Best not use it then I guess. Personally can’t see the point of it nor would want to even trust it. Sorry, I’m a happy old manual steering type of chap ;)
Velar HSE D240 - MY19

maitology

Post by maitology » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Is this different from lane keep assist that keeps you off the lane markings? Will this be available at an OTA upgrade to my early 19 car?

Jim55

Post by Jim55 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:22 pm

maitology wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:49 pm
Is this different from lane keep assist that keeps you off the lane markings? Will this be available at an OTA upgrade to my early 19 car?
It is an additional level of control that steers the car for you, while you also steer and can take some of the strain when driving long distances. It is an added feature that I ordered with the car. I don't know if it is possible to retrofit it or if it is a feature that can be installed when the car is built. If you wanted this you would probably need to ask your dealer.
December 2018: MY19.5, Kaikoura Stone, D300 R-Dynamic HSE, R-Dynamic Black Pack, 20" 10 spoke Satin Dark Grey wheels, fixed pano roof, Driver Assist pack, On/Off Road pack, Light Oyster seats and headlining.

Pollo de muerte

Post by Pollo de muerte » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Took a long trip last weekend and the wife allowed me to drive the Velar for the first time over a long distance.

Our Velar has ACC and steering assist. As others have pointed out, unlike a Tesla the car won't change lanes so you need to still pay attention to the extent that you are overtaking traffic and want to maintain speed. Also, it does a better job than a Tesla in checking to see if you are paying attention and warns you if you have not made a steering input (tested, I kept my hands on the wheel but made no input and it eventually set off an alarm). The system worked well enough that I can definitely see how someone would be encouraged to check their phone or otherwise deal with some task other than driving, but it isn't good enough to actually drive the car, so I have reservations even if it works properly.

Unfortunately, I don't think the system on our Velar works properly.

I received a warning when the system disengaged about 50% of the time. I'm not sure of the rhyme or reason for this apparent inconsistency, but I'll hazard a guess. The system was unable to "see" the road lines accurately enough when the sun was low and trees were casting dapples of shadow on the road. In this case, the system consistently disengaged without warning. On the other had, one leg of the journey was rainy and it apparently kicked up enough grime from the road to interfere with the sensor, so for the remainder of that leg I would get periodic warnings that the sensor was obstructed and the system was disengaging. To be clear, the rain had stopped when I was attempting to engage the system and it would reengage for a time and then disengage. After I wiped off the sensor at the end of this leg, I didn't see that error or warning again.

It was mildly frustrating that I could not get "regular" cruise control to activate when the sensor was reporting an error. I toggled the LKA on and off, but nothing that I could access from the steering wheel controls could summon regular cruise control until the sensor error cleared itself. Beyond frustrating, the lack of consistent warnings that the system is disengaging is outright dangerous. Common sense (and common law) require that once you have decided to offer assistance, you must do so reasonably. Failing to offer warnings in all cases of the system disengaging is completely unreasonable.
2019 Range Rover Velar HSE P380 ("Posh")
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE FE ("Greebo")