Has anybody fitted a roof tent?

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
ratherbefishing

Has anybody fitted a roof tent?

Post by ratherbefishing » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi all,
I’m interested in buying a roof tent as I go off road a bit (forest tracks, farm tracks) for fishing lochs in Scotland and I quite fancy a roof tent for the forthcoming trout season.
I have seen them advertised on top of minis, Peugeot hatchbacks and the likes but I noted the Velar capacity is only 79kg. I’m assuming the other cars capacities are way lower than this.
The rooftop I was looking at comes in at 40kg but 2 adults takes it way over the 79kg capacity that JLR say.
Am I ok to put it on the roof and sleep in it because the 79kg capacity that JLR mention is for driving purposes and I clearly won’t be driving it with the tent up?
Any info greatly appreciated.
D180S, Narvick Black, Acorn Interior

Slydog

Re: Has anybody fitted a roof tent?

Post by Slydog » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 pm

Hi!

Did you find the answer to this out? I have just placed an order for a roof tent to fit to my velar! Fortunately only paid a small deposit and it’s not due for pick up until the end of the month!! Suddenly panicked about it not being able to fit!!

Assume the 79kg load is the dynamic load rather than static but would be interested to hear it you found the answer and whether you did get out for the trout season!

Thanks
D180 R-Dynamic SE
Narvik Black
20” Grey Alloys
Pano
Privacy