Using phone instead of sim card

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
Diontius

Using phone instead of sim card

Post by Diontius » Thu May 14, 2020 11:53 am

Hi all,
Recently bought a pre-owned 2019 Velar 180SE Dynamic from main dealer Harwoods. Due to old age not very techie-minded. Not yet activated InControl in the car. Wondering if rather than use a SIM can I use my (mostly unused) Tesco mobile data allowance, maybe by 'tethering' the phone? Or using Bluetooth? If so is it good idea, and could someone please explain how?
I would ask Harwoods for help but they're closed due to the Covid.
Many thanks in advance.
Mike

Simonh

Re: Using phone instead of sim card

Post by Simonh » Thu May 14, 2020 2:07 pm

It's far simpler to insert a SIM. Three do one for around £30 that lasts 2 years with 24GB data. You can tether to a phone and connect to the phones Wifi but its a faff as each time you start the car, you will need to re-connect to the phones wifi to access data for the car.
Velar HSE D240 - MY19
Served by the excellent Shukers Land Rover of Ludlow - 20 years of amazing customer service.

iago_00

Post by iago_00 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm

I use tasker (android phone) it is simple and straight forward. Whenever the BT is connected to the car, the phone's WIFI hotspot activates and the car connects automatically (I can share you the tasker profile); as soon as the BT is disconnected the WIFI hotspot deactivates. The coo thing is you can enable hotspot selectively when the BT of the car is connected; it does not activate if the BT connects on other devices. The drawback is that WIFI hotspot may affected the battery consumption depending on how long you use it .

Diontius

Post by Diontius » Mon May 18, 2020 9:31 pm

Thanks Guys. I have now bought a 12GB Three SIM and gotten most of the way thro setting it all up, by following the guidance on the InControl website. Only problem was when I got to setting up Navigation / Here, I created a new account as instructed, using my Gmail address and password (I assume that's what is intended), then got the message "Sorry, account not set up, there is a problem at our end.'"
I will have another try tomorrow
Mike.