Roofracks without rails

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
bovanschaik

Roofracks without rails

Post by bovanschaik » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 pm

I have a D180 without roof rails (personally I think it looks much better without). Obviously the downside is that LR does not make roofracks (crossbars) for models without rails.

I have been looking for aftermarket crossbars but I cannot find any specifically made to fit a Velar. For pretty much every make of car there are, so does anyone know if there is a Thule version or other brand that works on a Velar. I need the space as I already have 4 bikes on the back.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks

dan_uk_1984

Re: Roofracks without rails

Post by dan_uk_1984 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 pm

bovanschaik wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:58 pm
I think it looks much better without

LR does not make roofracks (crossbars) for models without rails.

I cannot find any specifically made to fit a Velar
The very definition of "Style over Substance".

I actually like the extra lines the rails bring - I like even more the fact you can fit roof accessories without damaging the paintwork. No matter how clean you think the rubber pads are of those Thule racks - they will scuff your paintwork.

Also isn't the roof trim a plastic finisher with no actual structural strength? (I may well be wrong on that)

Irritatingly the First Editions never had them fitted and they are a pig to retrofit :(
D300 First Edition - Corris Grey

bovanschaik

Post by bovanschaik » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 am

Thanks Dan - I asked LR (I live in The Netherlands) - they can retro-fit them but it will cost in excess of EUR 2,000 to do so. Good question about the structural strength - I have asked Thule if they have a solution so waiting to hear from them. I only need to use them twice a year (summer holidays and skiing holiday) - not esssential but make life a lot easier to carry all that baggage

dan_uk_1984

Post by dan_uk_1984 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Interesting - I will ask our local dealer if they can do that too then! If not, perhaps a road trip to The Netherlands :D
D300 First Edition - Corris Grey