Velar P250 Horrible Engine Problems

Faults and Technical chat for the Range Rover Velar
DDIVO

Velar P250 Horrible Engine Problems

Post by DDIVO » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi guys and gals,

I have the Velar P250 and quite a bit of a problem, my engine fan is extremely loud when parking, vibrates like crazy when In idling, but it gets worse.

When driving the car almost doesnt want to accelerate at all and lags incredibly, overtaking is almost impossible and generally acceleration is incredibly hard.

Also out of the A/C vents always hot air is coming out no matter what.

Brought it to the dealer currently 11 times and counting each time not able to fix it and “cleaning a pump” or “replacing it” sometimes but thats about it.

I can not live with the car like this and I have no consumer protection allowing me to return the car in my country of residence.

Please let me know if any of you have experienced any of the same issues/fixes.

Spencerwilks

Re: Velar P250 Horrible Engine Problems

Post by Spencerwilks » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:36 pm

The JLR Ingenium engine is certainly not the best in the world and it can go horribly wrong with vibration and noise when the balance shaft bearings give up which happened to my first one in warranty. Try getting in touch with JLR customer services who will be aware of the problems with the Ingenium engine and they can sometimes offer help.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Extended leather upgrade, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Smartphone pack. Matrix LED lights ,Heated steering wheel,Ex JLR Managers Steed so loaded with extras.

DDIVO

Post by DDIVO » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Absolutely will do, Ive been to the dealer to many times its getting ridiculous at this point.

Can you tell me more about what happened to yours and what the fix was?

MITO

Post by MITO » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:11 pm

I have the P250 and it has been great so far. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

The loud engine fan most likely means your water pump has gone bad, which is a common fault on these engines. Your dealer should replace it under warranty.

Spencerwilks

Post by Spencerwilks » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 pm

The Velar was off the road for 10 weeks early in 2019 due to the indecision from JLR as to whether they repaired the noisy engine or replace it.
In the end they forced the dealer to strip the 7000 mile engine and replace the balance shaft and its bearings to cure the whine and unacceptable noise. I was not happy with this decision but the repaired engine had not developed any further problems in 39K miles.My Daughter now has this car. JLR are very much aware of the Ingenium engine problems both in Jaguars and Range Rovers but will now fight every warranty claim because of the desperate financial state the Company is currently in. I have just taken on another Velar with the 250 D engine with 10K miles so I am keeping my fingers crossed not to have a repeat performance.
2019 2.0 D 240 HSE Aruba/ Light Oyster heated and cooled 20 way seats, Extended leather upgrade, Air Suspension, Deployable Steps ,Smartphone pack. Matrix LED lights ,Heated steering wheel,Ex JLR Managers Steed so loaded with extras.

RRSTW

Post by RRSTW » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:59 am

There is an official field service action for this fan problem called N451. It consists of a software update for the powertrain control module. Contact your dealer, all I4 2.0 Ingenium engines are subject to this.

cedzz

Post by cedzz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:07 pm

My wife's last almost new Disco Sport, with the 2.0i petrol engine, suddenly started sounding like a jet at stand still, vibrating while driving it. We called LR assist and it was the water pump shorting out, the LR assist chap guessed this as soon as we described the symptoms having met it several times before. Pump replaced under warranty.

DDIVO

Post by DDIVO » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 am

Dealership wont take the car for another month, car is unsafe to drive at this point. I can not believe how awful after sales is after paying over 60k for this car, also roadside assistance does not take the phone.

Barachus

Post by Barachus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 am

Have you called LR assist?
Last time I had an issue, the dealership couldn’t look at the car for a week, so LR assist organised a replacement car delivered next day to the dealership and told me to leave my car with dealership until they fixed it

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Barachus wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 am
Have you called LR assist?
Last time I had an issue, the dealership couldn’t look at the car for a week, so LR assist organised a replacement car delivered next day to the dealership and told me to leave my car with dealership until they fixed it
This is true, at least it is in the UK. LR Assist have numerous cars littered across the dealer network. These can be deployed when a car needs repairing. But the rules mean that it has to be LR Assist that receive the call and manage the call-out, repair or recovery. If your car is already at the dealer then this facility is not available to you.

But here’s the issue..... each country has a different approach to customer service. Our experience of LR Austria (Osterreich to our German friends!) was truly appalling. It ranks down there with the very worst dealerships I have had the misfortune of experiencing in my life. Kufstein, if anyone from there is reading this and considering a Land Rover for their next car - don’t do it!

So whether Germany has an approach similar to the U.K. or that of Austria, I don’t know. Personally, it does seem to me that the experience should be better than DDIVO is receiving wherever one lives in Europe. I would certainly have expected something better from German dealerships as most of us in the U.K. have huge respect for German business, engineering and all round professionalism. Mrs A has the whole kitchen decked out in German appliances. Having said that, our Audi TT’s bodywork was terrible because of paint impurities bubbling up within three years.

I feel for you DDIVO. My advice is to perhaps try another dealership. They may have a better dealer principal, some spare courtesy cars and a workshop ready to take a look. You’re not restricted to the dealership from which you bought the car and any dealership will be able to claim warranty work from JLR.

All the best. Sad story. Not good for JLR and not good for British exports which are arguably more important now than ever.

Arianne
D300 R-dynamic with lots of optional toys. Corris Grey, sunroof, activity bracelet, configurable lighting, 825w Meridian sound, heated everything, configurable dynamics, full leather pack, summer / winter tyres & the important cup holder cover!