Google Maps

All Range Rover Velar related discussions
chrisjh82

Re: Google Maps

Post by chrisjh82 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi there - First time Poster, let me know if this needs to be moved to another section, but it's in relation to Google Maps/Waze and the RR Velar.
Purchased my Velar in June 2018, and I've noticed a strange quirk - using my iPhone X (all software up-to-date), when my phone is sat in the front cup holder (next to the drive selector), my phone is unable to locate me - GPS services become screwey and can't locate me or direct me properly in either google maps, or Waze. If I take the phone out of the cup holder and hold in my hand, a few minutes later, the GPS functionality returns, put it back in and it goes awry.
This is the case with the car's modem off and on. I don't have data in the car turned on.
This happens whether the phone is connected by bluetooth, USB or not connected to the vehicle at all.
Is this something anyone else has experienced or has heard of happening?
I live in Los Angeles, so Waze is a bit of a life-saver, and if it isn't going to work, I need a solve!
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:24 am

Did you connect your iPhone with the usb of the Velar? In theory it should then use the Velar s antenna and gives you a solid signal. I have no similar problems in our Velar.
Anyway, the position in the cupholder seems not very practical to me anyway. I got us a holder that’s attaches to the fan grill.

zooter1977

Post by zooter1977 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am

chrisjh82 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 pm
when my phone is sat in the front cup holder (next to the drive selector), my phone is unable to locate me - GPS services become screwey and can't locate me or direct me properly in either google maps, or Waze. If I take the phone out of the cup holder and hold in my hand, a few minutes later, the GPS functionality returns, put it back in and it goes awry.
Just a thought, but it could be the windscreen(sorry, windshield) that has the heating elements in - these often block GPS signals - I would suggest that is your reason (or at least potentially it is your reason!).

Return to “Main Range Rover Velar chat”