Range Rover Velar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
J77 said:
My salesman checked all the cars they have on site and all have marks in the headlights, they believe it's a manufacturing defect.
Your in Scotland, could it be the same dealer....Pentland?

This is good info because if we can identify an issue and get them to accept there is a problem the if they do deteriorate through time they will need to replace under warranty.

This flaw does seem to be quite common in current brand new cars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
J77 said:
Yeah I use Pentland Cupar
It's a very, very small world!

I was at Pentland Cupar 2 weeks ago and after looking at mine they agreed the flaw/damage appeared to be on the inside surface of the headlight and when they checked other Velars they found others with similar flaws (including the white P300 in middle of showroom).

At least we have both had same result from the same dealer.

I suspect there are many on this forum that have Velars with the same defect and as there are some new ones that have not yet been sold I would advise people to check headlights very carefully. This flaw is not so noticeable unless you are looking for it. It may spread and become very noticeable through time and could be a very expensive repair £2,500 + VAT to replace each side!

p.s. Just noticed it is now on both headlights (at least this strengthens the case)

Nearside

Hood Automotive tire Gadget Finger Rim

Offside

Hood Bumper Finger Line Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A small world indeed.

Mine goes in on the 17th for various things, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will be collecting mine in 1,5 weeks and will be checking the car very carefully before driving off, including these headlights cracks. I noticed there have been no complaints so far from drivers in mainland Europe - no headlight issues for owners there?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Velarian said:
I will be collecting mine in 1,5 weeks and will be checking the car very carefully before driving off, including these headlights cracks. I noticed there have been no complaints so far from drivers in mainland Europe - no headlight issues for owners there?
I've checked mine and all seems OK. And I did a nice road trip the other month so car has had a good shake-down. But I might give it another once over in better lighting this weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not directly related, but something I noticed while checking out my lights tonight, it'd be interesting if anyone else has this same issue.

When unlocking, and the DRL is on, I noticed on my left hand side (while facing the car) headlight, along the side part where the DRL goes along in a straight line, the black is actually curved up in a bowed up fashion (ie. Like the top of a circle kind of thing), yet if you look at the other side, it's actually straight no curve at all, no idea why that is, and haven't got another car to compare it against, but interesting none the less. Be interesting to see what you guys have, or if it's just me.

Cheers,

SiriX

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well my one was in the dealers today for various things and I got them to check the headlights, which I've asked before and never been done, but today the dealer agreed that there isn't a mark on the car and that it is a warranty issue and both will be replaced.

Just waiting on LR to give the green light as it's a £6k claim. It's been an uphill battle but Im glad I didn't give up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
J77 said:
Well my one was in the dealers today for various things and I got them to check the headlights, which I've asked before and never been done, but today the dealer agreed that there isn't a mark on the car and that it is a warranty issue and both will be replaced.

Just waiting on LR to give the green light as it's a £6k claim. It's been an uphill battle but Im glad I didn't give up.
Fantastic result. And the right one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
J77 said:

Thats great to know as you are using the same dealership as me and I also believe there is a fault with mine (albeit not as bad as yours) and my fear is it will spread.

I believe there will be many more out there but people just haven't noticed yet, once the cold/hot weather and potholes etc take effect then I think the fault will become more apparent. Best to check very carefully and get any defects reported.

p.s. if you could private message me some details later with who you spoke to etc, this will be useful if/when I speak to them again about it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well LR have rejected the claim, they say excess force has been applied. My dealer is escalating the case. LR claims rejected it based on photos, which they said they couldn't make a judgement on when I sent them photos months back, a tech manager was supposed to view the car and make his assessment as promised by LR CRC, we even arranged rough dates. Just all lies.

But the fight goes on, no surrender.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I thought this headlight issue had been mentioned a;ready with numerous other owners, I swear there is a thread on here re cracked headlights !!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seem to recall a post from someone saying that when his dealer checked other vehicle at the showroom many, if not most, showed signs of cracks?

LR are right in that it's due to excess force on the light but the question is what is causing that excess force. It could very well be as a result to a slight misalignment when fitting the lights at the factory? I think the onus is on LR to prove that's the "excess force" is down to the owner. Their reason for denying the claim seems a bit weak to me.

Just my 2 pence worth.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well Velar was back in the dealer all day Friday while the regional technical manager looked at the car, he took god knows how many photos from every conceivable angle. So now it's the waiting game again, I'm the only customer in the UK, possibly the world to report an issue with the headlights, so reports are being sent to Valeo, who make the lights, to see if they have had problems with other bands that they've supplied to.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good luck.

Will be checking mine tomorrow....

·
Registered
33 Posts
@j77 just so you know, I reported my headlights to my dealer and got nowhere. Currently the cracks are tiny, but they're there. Let us know how you get on. My strategy is just to keep at them til they do something about it. It's definitely a problem, half the Velars they had in stock have the same little cracks. ,

·
Registered
92 Posts
RealMrPorter said:
@j77 just so you know, I reported my headlights to my dealer and got nowhere. Currently the cracks are tiny, but they're there. Let us know how you get on. My strategy is just to keep at them til they do something about it. It's definitely a problem, half the Velars they had in stock have the same little cracks. ,
Mine has the little cracks too and has been reported to dealer. There were other Velars in stock with same (issue?). I wanted it recorded to ensure that if the crack spread in the months and years ahead with hot/cold temperatures etc then I could refer back to the original report that I made.

Automotive tire Hood Grille Automotive lighting Hat

Water Automotive exterior Asphalt Liquid Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mac said:
RealMrPorter said:
Mine has the little cracks too and has been reported to dealer. There were other Velars in stock with same (issue?). I wanted it recorded to ensure that if the crack spread in the months and years ahead with hot/cold temperatures etc then I could refer back to the original report that I made.

fullsizeoutput_145d.jpeg

IMG_1014 2.jpg
You shouldn't even have to wait in my opinion. They should be recalling with the sound of it and how many comments / reports of similar problems.

·
Registered
569 Posts
No visible cracks on mine. That's lucky.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts